AI-GEOSTATS: rodograms and madograms?

  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2003
      Hello everyone,

      can someone provide me with references concerning rodograms? If these
      functions are very briefly presented in books and implemented in many geostats
      software , I have almost never seen published cases studies where these
      functions are effectively applied to environmental data (maybe in the mining
      field?). The word "rodogram" does not even appear in the archives of the list
      and I wonder if anyone is using such a function from time to time.

      Thanks for any feedback.

      Gregoire

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 15, 2003
        Gregoire,

        Although I haven't looked at the paper for a
        long time, I believe that there is a description
        of the rodogram in the following paper
        presented at Geostat congress in Avignon, 1988.
        Srivastava and Parker. 1989.
        Robust measures of spatial continuity.
        in M. Armstrong, editor, Geostatistics, pages 295-308,
        Kluwer, Dordrecht.
        I personally rarely use rodogram or madogram.
        Variogram of logtransforms or relative variograms
        usually suffice to attenuate the impact of extreme
        values.

        Cheers,

        Pierre

        Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
        Consultant in (Geo)statistics
        President of PGeostat, LLC
        and Senior Chief Scientist with Biomedware Inc.
        710 Ridgemont Lane
        Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103-1535, U.S.A.

        E-mail: goovaert@...
        Phone: (734) 668-9900