Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Original Covariogram paper.

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
      Digby

      There is a 96 page bibliography in the back of
      Cressie's book!

      Cressie, Noel A. C., Statistics for Spatial Data,
      Revised Edition, 1993, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New
      York, 900pp.

      The earliest paper I know of about variograms (but not
      using that terminology) is by Prof de Wijs in a paper
      in the SAIMM journal around 1953. He called it
      studying "successive differences" and wrote it whilst
      on sabbatical in South Africa. Hence the "de Wijsian
      model" cited by Matheron - who did coin the
      terminology in 1963.

      There is also a paper by Cressie in Math Geol called
      "The Origins of Kriging" which came out in the early
      90s.

      Isobel
      http://geoecosse.bizland.com/news.html

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
        Colin

        Thanks for the info. I knew that Matheron had
        considerable correspodence with Gandin in Russia, who
        was working in meteorology but have no references to
        his work. As noted in Cressie's paper, many other
        folks in many other fields were also working on
        similar stuff.

        Since Digby's original question was about publications
        in mining specifically, I think de Wijs is still the
        earliest reference. If anyone knows an earlier, please
        let us know!