Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Original Covariogram paper.

  • Digby Millikan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
      Hello,
      In regards to my last email, Isobel corrected me, I meant to say the
      covariance graph with distance i.e. the 'upside down variogram' not
      the covariogram between two variables. Restating my question does
      anyone know the origins of the use of the covariance graph with
      distance and the variogram for studying grade continuity.

      Regards Digby Millikan
      Geolite Mining Systems
      digbym@...
      http://www.users.on.net/digbym

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
        Digby

        There is a 96 page bibliography in the back of
        Cressie's book!

        Cressie, Noel A. C., Statistics for Spatial Data,
        Revised Edition, 1993, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New
        York, 900pp.

        The earliest paper I know of about variograms (but not
        using that terminology) is by Prof de Wijs in a paper
        in the SAIMM journal around 1953. He called it
        studying "successive differences" and wrote it whilst
        on sabbatical in South Africa. Hence the "de Wijsian
        model" cited by Matheron - who did coin the
        terminology in 1963.

        There is also a paper by Cressie in Math Geol called
        "The Origins of Kriging" which came out in the early
        90s.

        Isobel
        http://geoecosse.bizland.com/news.html

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
          Colin

          Thanks for the info. I knew that Matheron had
          considerable correspodence with Gandin in Russia, who
          was working in meteorology but have no references to
          his work. As noted in Cressie's paper, many other
          folks in many other fields were also working on
          similar stuff.

          Since Digby's original question was about publications
          in mining specifically, I think de Wijs is still the
          earliest reference. If anyone knows an earlier, please
          let us know!