AI-GEOSTATS: Problem with Variowin 2.2 under Windows XP

  • Ruben Roa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2003
      Dear list members:
      I run into problems when creating data files with Excel 2002 for use in
      Variowin 2.2 Prevar2d module. Variowin says it finds an 'error while
      reading file'. It happens also with old data files that i created with
      Excel 97 and that worked fine under Windows 95 in Variowin 2.2. However,
      Variowin 2.2 can handle its own example data files without problems under
      Windows XP. Curious problem. I wonder if any of you have run into this and
      if you managed to solve it. No answer will mean no one has faced this.
      Thanks
      Rubén
      http://webmail.udec.cl

    • Ruben Roa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2003
        >If I understand your question correctly, you are trying to use an EXCEL
        file as an input for Variowin Prevar. Obviously it won't work for several
        reasons (a) Variowin uses the same file format as GEOEAS, a plain ASCII
        file, (b) the data itself is in columns separated by spaces or commas, (c)
        the variable names are in a header, there is also a line with a count for
        the number of variables. You could however save the EXCEL as plain ASCII
        and then use a text editor such as NOTEPAD to generate the required header
        (Don't use WORDPAD, it will insert various
        on-numeric items). The missing value indicator for GEOEAS is .1E+32 or
        1E+31. In the data columns don't include any non-numeric characters (it is
        possible to have a last column of non-numeric characters, these must be in
        single quotes and the program will ignore them.

        Thanks Donald but it is more complex than that. I'm sorry if i wasn't
        explicit enough in my question but i did create ASCII files to use with
        variowin. I'm pretty familiar with that program and GeoEas. First i created
        my ASCII files with Excel, then with Programmer's File Editor, and then
        with the Notepad. None of them worked under Windows XP and Millenium.
        Variowin kept reporting error while reading file. Then i went to GeoEas and
        tried to make it read its own example.dat file and it couldn't under
        Windows XP. I have come to the conclusion that due to methods to create
        ASCII files under the new editions of Windows, after W98, programs that use
        GeoEas data files are not able to read them any more.
        Rubén
        http://webmail.udec.cl

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2003
          Hi Ruben,

          I am also working on Windows XP and have
          repeated your experiment. I can read the file created
          from Excel (option formatted text, space delimited)
          with prevar2D and then run Vario2D without any problem.

          Pierre

          Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
          Consultant in (Geo)statistics
          President of PGeostat, LLC
          and Senior Chief Scientist with Biomedware Inc.
          710 Ridgemont Lane
          Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103-1535, U.S.A.

          E-mail: goovaert@...
          Phone: (734) 668-9900