Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Original Covariogram paper.

  • Digby Millikan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
      Hello,
      In regards to my last email, Isobel corrected me, I meant to say the
      covariance graph with distance i.e. the 'upside down variogram' not
      the covariogram between two variables. Restating my question does
      anyone know the origins of the use of the covariance graph with
      distance and the variogram for studying grade continuity.

      Regards Digby Millikan
      Geolite Mining Systems
      digbym@...
      http://www.users.on.net/digbym

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
        Digby

        There is a 96 page bibliography in the back of
        Cressie's book!

        Cressie, Noel A. C., Statistics for Spatial Data,
        Revised Edition, 1993, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New
        York, 900pp.

        The earliest paper I know of about variograms (but not
        using that terminology) is by Prof de Wijs in a paper
        in the SAIMM journal around 1953. He called it
        studying "successive differences" and wrote it whilst
        on sabbatical in South Africa. Hence the "de Wijsian
        model" cited by Matheron - who did coin the
        terminology in 1963.

        There is also a paper by Cressie in Math Geol called
        "The Origins of Kriging" which came out in the early
        90s.

        Isobel
        http://geoecosse.bizland.com/news.html

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
          Colin

          Thanks for the info. I knew that Matheron had
          considerable correspodence with Gandin in Russia, who
          was working in meteorology but have no references to
          his work. As noted in Cressie's paper, many other
          folks in many other fields were also working on
          similar stuff.

          Since Digby's original question was about publications
          in mining specifically, I think de Wijs is still the
          earliest reference. If anyone knows an earlier, please
          let us know!

          Isobel
          http://geoecosse.bizland.com/news.html

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com

        • Colin Daly
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2003
            Hi Digby and Isobel,

            Just another bit to add on the variogram.

            There is a large body of work that was done in the Soviet Union by
            Kolmogorov and his school. He came up with the first 'kriging' in the 30's
            in the context of signal filtering (Norbert Wiener in MIT did this at the
            same time). The Soviet school started looking at non stationary cases in the
            40s (calling them generalised random functions). In so doing - they looked
            at the case of random functions whose differences are stationary - this in
            effect was the motivation for Matheron defining the variogram.

            Much of the Soviet schools work appears to be rather theoretical. Matheron
            extracted and developed the practical component of this body of work and put
            it to work in the context of what he saw Krige, de Wijs and others doing in
            South Africa

            A good reference for the Soviet school's work (and perhaps the best book
            that I have read on the maths of 2 point random functions (ie characterisaed
            by a covariance fnction or generalised covariance function or variogram)) is

            Yaglom A.M., 1987 Correlation Theory of Stationary and Related Random
            Processes Vol 1 Springer-Verlag.

            Best Regards and happy new year

            Colin Daly

            > There is a 96 page bibliography in the back of
            > Cressie's book!
            >
            > Cressie, Noel A. C., Statistics for Spatial Data,
            > Revised Edition, 1993, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New
            > York, 900pp.
            >
            > The earliest paper I know of about variograms (but not
            > using that terminology) is by Prof de Wijs in a paper
            > in the SAIMM journal around 1953. He called it
            > studying "successive differences" and wrote it whilst
            > on sabbatical in South Africa. Hence the "de Wijsian
            > model" cited by Matheron - who did coin the
            > terminology in 1963.
            >
            > There is also a paper by Cressie in Math Geol called
            > "The Origins of Kriging" which came out in the early
            > 90s.
            >
            > Isobel
            > http://geoecosse.bizland.com/news.html

            > http://uk.my.yahoo.com

            any useful responses to your questions.

            DISCLAIMER
            This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Roxar Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.