AI-GEOSTATS: Original Covariogram paper.

  • Digby Millikan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
      Hello,
      Does anyone know the first paper to discuss the covariogram or twin
      variogram
      in relation of variability of grades with distance in orebodies.

      Regards Digby Millikan
      Geolite Mining Systems
      digbym@...
      http://www.users.on.net/digbym

    • Digby Millikan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2003
        Hello,
        In regards to my last email, Isobel corrected me, I meant to say the
        covariance graph with distance i.e. the 'upside down variogram' not
        the covariogram between two variables. Restating my question does
        anyone know the origins of the use of the covariance graph with
        distance and the variogram for studying grade continuity.

        Regards Digby Millikan
        Geolite Mining Systems
        digbym@...
        http://www.users.on.net/digbym

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
          Digby

          There is a 96 page bibliography in the back of
          Cressie's book!

          Cressie, Noel A. C., Statistics for Spatial Data,
          Revised Edition, 1993, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New
          York, 900pp.

          The earliest paper I know of about variograms (but not
          using that terminology) is by Prof de Wijs in a paper
          in the SAIMM journal around 1953. He called it
          studying "successive differences" and wrote it whilst
          on sabbatical in South Africa. Hence the "de Wijsian
          model" cited by Matheron - who did coin the
          terminology in 1963.

          There is also a paper by Cressie in Math Geol called
          "The Origins of Kriging" which came out in the early
          90s.

          Isobel
          http://geoecosse.bizland.com/news.html

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2003
            Colin

            Thanks for the info. I knew that Matheron had
            considerable correspodence with Gandin in Russia, who
            was working in meteorology but have no references to
            his work. As noted in Cressie's paper, many other
            folks in many other fields were also working on
            similar stuff.

            Since Digby's original question was about publications
            in mining specifically, I think de Wijs is still the
            earliest reference. If anyone knows an earlier, please
            let us know!

            Isobel
            http://geoecosse.bizland.com/news.html

            http://uk.my.yahoo.com

          • Colin Daly
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2003
              Hi Digby and Isobel,

              Just another bit to add on the variogram.

              There is a large body of work that was done in the Soviet Union by
              Kolmogorov and his school. He came up with the first 'kriging' in the 30's
              in the context of signal filtering (Norbert Wiener in MIT did this at the
              same time). The Soviet school started looking at non stationary cases in the
              40s (calling them generalised random functions). In so doing - they looked
              at the case of random functions whose differences are stationary - this in
              effect was the motivation for Matheron defining the variogram.

              Much of the Soviet schools work appears to be rather theoretical. Matheron
              extracted and developed the practical component of this body of work and put
              it to work in the context of what he saw Krige, de Wijs and others doing in
              South Africa

              A good reference for the Soviet school's work (and perhaps the best book
              that I have read on the maths of 2 point random functions (ie characterisaed
              by a covariance fnction or generalised covariance function or variogram)) is

              Yaglom A.M., 1987 Correlation Theory of Stationary and Related Random
              Processes Vol 1 Springer-Verlag.

              Best Regards and happy new year

              Colin Daly

              > There is a 96 page bibliography in the back of
              > Cressie's book!
              >
              > Cressie, Noel A. C., Statistics for Spatial Data,
              > Revised Edition, 1993, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New
              > York, 900pp.
              >
              > The earliest paper I know of about variograms (but not
              > using that terminology) is by Prof de Wijs in a paper
              > in the SAIMM journal around 1953. He called it
              > studying "successive differences" and wrote it whilst
              > on sabbatical in South Africa. Hence the "de Wijsian
              > model" cited by Matheron - who did coin the
              > terminology in 1963.
              >
              > There is also a paper by Cressie in Math Geol called
              > "The Origins of Kriging" which came out in the early
              > 90s.
              >
              > Isobel
              > http://geoecosse.bizland.com/news.html

              > http://uk.my.yahoo.com

              any useful responses to your questions.

              DISCLAIMER
              This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Roxar Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorised to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.