AI-GEOSTATS: Fractal analysis of monitoring networks?

  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2002
      Dear all,

      I'm looking for a Windows software able to perform a 2D computation (either
      sandbox or box counting) of the fractal dimension of a monitoring network. The
      method is illustrated in

      Lovejoy S., D. Schertzer and P. Ladoy (1986). Fractal characterization of
      inhomogeneous geophysical measuring networks. Nature, 319: 43-44.

      Important for me is that I want to be able to define the region in which the
      fractal analysis is to be performed.

      I looked at the fractal FAQs & on the internet but didn't find anything
      helpful.

      Thank you very much for any help.

      Best regards,

      Gregoire

    • Syed Abdul Rahman Shibli
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2002
        On 18/12/02 1:01 PM, "Gregoire Dubois" <gregoire.dubois@...> wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > I'm looking for a Windows software able to perform a 2D computation (either
        > sandbox or box counting) of the fractal dimension of a monitoring network. The
        > method is illustrated in

        You can assume a fractional isotropic Brownian motion (fBm) model (the
        "power law" model) of the form Gamma = kh^a where a can vary between 0 and 2
        but not including two. The constant a is related to the Hurst empirical
        exponent H, i.e. 2H = a. The dimension (D - H) would give you the fractal
        dimension where D is the Cartesian dimension. For a two dimensional case D
        will be 2 and H will vary between 0 and 1 to give you a non-integer fractal
        dimension. In other words try using Variowin.

        Syed