AI-GEOSTATS: Ripley's K

  • Mathias Tobler
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2002
      I am using Ripley's K to analize distribution patterns of trees in a forest
      plot. Here some basic information. The plot is 1000 x 1000 m. There are
      7765 trees that were measured throughout the plot. This is the first time I
      am unsing Ripley's K and I run into several questions / problems.

      I am using Crime Stat 2.0 and SPP (by Peter Haase) to calculate the
      statistcs but get very different results from the two packages. Both
      packages are supposed to output SQR(K(t) / Pi) - t for the data set and the
      confidence intervalls. The following link shows the output from both packages.

      http://www.botanypages.org/Mathias/ripleysk.jpg

      Both were run with 19 iterations and Rectangular Bordercorrection was used
      in Crime Stat. The third graph shows the Coefficient of Dispersion
      CD=SD^2/M for diffferent quadrant sizes.

      Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Why do the confidence
      intervals show a curved shape and are not around 0? Is there any other free
      and easy to use software to calculate Ripley's K (I know that there is R
      but I don't have the time right now to get familiar with it).

      Thanks for your help,

      Mathias