AI-GEOSTATS: answers to gaussian model

  • Carolina Garcia Imhof
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2002
      Hi everybody,
      Thanks for your answers. I had seen the similarity between the formulas,
      but I thought there could have been more to it than just similarity. Here is
      a summary of all responses.
      Cheers, Carolina

      Hi.
      > I have a question which is not directly related to geostatistical
      analysis...
      > What is the relationship between the gaussian model
      > used in geostatistics and the "classical" gaussian function or
      > distribution,
      > or how it came to be known as a gaussian model?

      A partial answer to your question is simply that the functional form of
      the gaussian variogram is the
      same as the functional form for the probability density function for a
      gaussian random variable.

      Donald E. Myers
      http://www.u.arizona.edu/~donaldm

      Carolina

      The gaussian semi-variogram model is so-called because
      the formula is basically identical to that for the
      Normal (or gaussian) probability distribution.

      There is no other necessary link with the Normal
      distribution.

      Isobel (Clark)
      http://uk.geocities.com/geoecosse/news.html

      Carolina,

      yes ..... the Gaussian model ..... a misnoma really: it should be
      clear where the term comes from - just look at the functional form: it
      is identical to the functional form of a Gaussian. I always call this
      model the squared exponential covariance function (since there is
      nothing 'Gaussian' about it other than the form) - and by the way if you
      think in a processed based way this is a terrible variogram to use,
      unless you believe the field you are dealing with is really infinitely
      smooth (differentiable).

      cheers

      Dan

      --
      Dr Dan Cornford
      Computer Science Tel: 0121 359 3611 x4667

      Gaussian distribution or normal distribution has a multiple of exp(-x^2)
      as its probability density function. Gaussian variogram has similar term
      in its definition.

      Hope this help.

      Thanks
      Abedini

      Hola Carolina:

      La ecuación del variograma gaussiano es g(h)=C(1-exp(-(h/a)^2)
      el nombre gaussiano es un muy mal nombre y solo corresponde a la
      analogía
      entre esta función y el modelo normal.
      Atentamente,

      Marco