AI-GEOSTATS: block kriging, routines that do this, especially any in Splus or Arch-info

  • Chris Howden
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2002
      G'day all,

      I'm relatively new to this list so if I'm asking a question that has
      been recently considered sorry about that. I couldn't see any reference
      to an archive on the web site so I haven't been through that if there is
      one.

      Basically I'd like to know if theres any free-ware block kriging
      routines. I've been using Arc-Info as my GIS but as we don't have the
      spatial modelling module I need some additional software. If theres any
      routines that are compatible with Arc-info that would be great. Failing
      that some in Splus would be a close second. Failing that anything will
      do.

      For those that are interested I've included a brief statement on what
      I'm doing with the block kriging. If anyone has any comments on the
      method we're following these would be cheerfully, and gratefully,
      considered.

      I'm involved in a project that is attempting to develop a map of past
      tree density. The idea being that this will assist in developing
      effective natural resource plans in NSW Australia. We're also going to
      construct a current tree density map for comparison.

      We've using data from the original surveys used to carve up Australia by
      the Europeans. Bascially we've got the distance from each fence
      cornerpost to the nearest tree, and we've used this to estimate the tree
      density at that 'point' . So we've got geostatistical data with a series
      of 'points' estimating density. We don't want to do ordinary kriging
      since theres some issues with the density estimate (we can't really have
      a point estimate of density, density requires size). Also, some of the
      trees are so close to the corner post that the density estimate is way
      way way to big.

      So we decided that block kriging would be a great way to 'average' this
      problem out.

      Thankyou all for your help.

      Christopher G Howden
      Statistical Ecologist
      (Work) 02 9895 7130
      (Fax) 02 9895 7867
      (Mob) 0410 689 945

    • Gregoire Dubois
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 24, 2002
        Well, the "unreliable AI-GEOSTATS" web site (see
        www.ai-geostats.org) would
        give you, as a result to a search with the keywords
        "block AND kriging" a list of almost 20 software (many
        freeware) doing block kriging.

        Unfortunately, the links shown in the results pointing
        to the software are not working at the moment
        (therefore the adjective "unreliable"...).
        Consequently, you will have to go back to the main
        page of the software web page and check the alphabetic
        list of all the software I have described.

        The S+Spatial stats module has block kriging
        (www.splus.com) and is easy to combine with Arc/Info
        (if you are willing to pay for it).

        Writing an AML to export/import your data to free
        tools like Gstat,GSLIB, UNCERT, etc... (they almost
        all have the same input & output formats) is certainly
        the cheapest solution and is also quite easy to do.
        Moreover, you would have in such a way a very large
        choice of geostatistical functions (larger than a
        those proposed by a single commercial package) that
        could be applied to your data.

        I did send a few years ago to a few people on this
        list (don't remember who unfortunately) an AML code to
        bridge Arc/Info with the Unix version of Geoeas (also
        easy to use if you don't have too much input data). I
        have not kept the AML code but with a bit of luck
        someone reading this message will remember about the
        code and send it to you.

        Hope this helps a bit,

        Gregoire

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/