AI-GEOSTATS: Grade tonnage curves

  • Mark Burnett Deelkraal
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2002
      Here is the feedback that I received on the grade tonnage curve topic. Less
      than I thought and there appear to be relatively few books (in print/
      readily available) that go into detail on this topic.

      Thanks to all that responded.

      Regards

      Mark Burnett

      Alastair Sinclair's reply

      Mark

      A good basic reference is:

      David, M., 1972, Grade-tonnage curves: use and misuse in ore-reserve
      estimation; Trans. Inst. Min. Metall., sect. A, pp. A129-A132.

      In addition, the topic is covered at length in anew text book by Sinclair
      and Blackwell available from Cambridge University Press website--chapter
      12,pp. 255-267.

      regards

      Alastair

      Donald Myer's reply

      You might want to look at Michel David's two books on geostatistics, the
      second one is titled
      Handbook of Applied Advanced Geostatistical Ore Reserve Estimation
      <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0444429182/qid=1032887101/sr=
      1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-9440834-8831166?v=glance>

      I think that the first one was simply

      Geostatistical Ore Reserve Estimation

      Donald E. Myers
      <http://www.u.arizona.edu/~donaldm>

      Joao Felipe Coimbra Leite Costa's reply

      > 2. If I calculate a point grade tonnage curve (using the sample sections),
      > then one using e.g. 10x10 blocks then 30x30 until I reach the size of the
      > entire ore body, should I see a change in the ore body grade?

      the average grade within the deposit should be the same.

      Joao also recommended david's 1977 book.

      Isobel's Reply

      Mark

      As always, in the book!!

      Your total ore body grade won't change but once you
      apply a cutoff, you will see substantial differences
      when block sizes change. For examples see old book,
      chapter 3 or my paper on mine call factor 1996 at
      http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/resume/Publications.html
      (note capital P).

      Giving a course in Scotland!!
      Isobel