Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Analysis of the distribution of points

  • Marc Serre
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16, 2002
      Maurizio,

      a suggestion in order to use field-based geostatistics is that you define a
      conceptual variable X(s), where s=(s1,s2) is the location, representing the
      density of industries per using area. Then convert your data points to
      density values for some aggregation areas of your choice (these aggregation
      areas can be counties, departements, etc.). Then you can perform a
      geostatistical analysis of your density data.

      Note that this approach involves the appreciation of the spatial scale you
      are using (i.e. the size of the aggregation area you have selected). This
      is sometimes referred to as change of support in Geostatistics, the
      modifiable area unit problem (MAUP) for geographers and GIS applications, or
      the multiscale approach for the Bayesian Maximum Entropy (BME) theory. I
      can give you some reference to the latter if you wish.

      If you have access to MATLAB I can suggest the BMElib geostatistical package
      for analysis of space/time data ( http://www.unc.edu/depts/case/BMELIB/ ).

      Cheers,
      Marc

      Marc Serre, PhD
      Assistant Professor
      Center for the Advanced Study of the Environment (CASE)
      Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering (DESE)
      CB 7431, 104 Rosenau Hall
      Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7431, USA
      e-mail: marc_serre@...
      phone: 919-966-1173 / 7014
      fax: 919-966-7911
      homepage: http://www.unc.edu/~mserre/ESEhome.html
      BMElib: http://www.unc.edu/depts/case/BMELIB/
      Temporal GIS book: http://www.unc.edu/depts/case/BMELIB/TGISflyer2.htm

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 16, 2002
        Maurizio Trevisani wrote:
        > Could you give some URL to find documentation about ways to
        > perform a sort of clustering of my geogrpahical data?
        > I have several points (X,Y coords) corresponding to
        > industries which produce wastes.

        please try to find a paper: "CONTIGUOUS SPATIAL CLASSIFICATION:
        A new approach on quantitative zoning method" in URL of
        Indonesian HDP at http://www.hdp-ina.net/ then to
        "activities"
        ernan

        indomail - Your everyday mail - http://indomail.indo.net.id