AI-GEOSTATS: Ordinary Kriging question

  • R. Jeffrey Davis
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2002
      Friends of AI-GEOSTATS

      I had a simple question regarding ordinary kriging. When dealing
      with clustered data (either 2D or 3D) with various interpolation
      techniques, is there an issue at all with redundant data? I've
      never heard of this term before. Furthermore, with respect to
      kriging, does this interpolation scheme handle clustered data any
      differently than say any other type of interpolation (splines,
      inverse distance weighted, natural neighbors)?

      Thanks

      Jeff Davis
      jeff@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2002
        Some would say that the whole advantage of kriging is
        in the fact that it handles clustered data
        automatically -- weighing each sample according to its
        'actual' information content.

        This, of course, relies on you having the correct
        semi-variogram model. That being the other major
        difference between a geostatistical estimation and
        those which assume a standard or arbitrary spatial
        structure.

        Isobel Clark
        http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/practica.html

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com