AI-GEOSTATS: experimental semivariograms at block support from point data?

  • S. Huisman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2001
      Dear List members,

      I am working with two methods for mapping spatial structure in soil water
      content (Time Domain Reflectometry and Ground Penetrating Radar). These
      methods have a different support. To evaluate the potential of these methods
      to map soil water content, we imposed a spatial structure in soil water
      content by irrigation with various intensities. After irrigation, we
      attempted to retrieve the imposed spatial structure in soil water content
      with both methods.

      I would like to evaluate the results of this experiment in terms of:
      1)Success in retrieval of imposed spatial structure by comparing
      interpolated maps of water content (prediction and uncertainty)
      2)Semivariograms for both methods (before and after irrigation).

      Now I am looking for software that can calculate experimental semivariograms
      at block support from point data. I had a look on regularisation theory but
      I would be more satisfied if I could calculate the experimental
      semivariogram at block support directly.

      Any suggestions?

      Sander Huisman

      Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
      Universiteit van Amsterdam
      Fysische Geografie en Bodemkunde

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2001
        Sander

        I am uncertain what you mean by calculating an
        experimental semi-variogram at block support from
        point data?

        Calculating an experimental semi-variogram is the same
        whatever your basic support. If you mean you want to
        model it as a block semi-variogram and find the point
        semi-variogram that compares to that, this is not a
        problem. We have routines in the EcoSSe software which
        would do this. Although we don't currently have a
        'public' menu item for this it would take around 15
        minutes to implement and would be included if you
        specified that when you bought it. Unfortunately
        EcoSSe is not free, but this sort of thing is what you
        pay for!

        Isobel Clark
        http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark