Re: AI-GEOSTATS: answers to "transformation of data"

  • Yetta Jager
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2002
      Hi Sibylle:

      Sorry this is so late, but I have just been working on generating a negative
      binomial as described by Pielou, Cressie and others (e.g., Diggle,
      Ripley). Apparently it can be derived in two ways, one of which is a
      Poisson distribution of clusters (of weeds) and a gamma distribution
      describing the number of individual weeds per cluster.

      You don't say what your objective is -- if you are interested in kriging,
      do you want to interpolate to find weed patches that you missed during
      sampling, generate other possible realizations, or you just want to find an
      index of autocorrelation?
      Because you are focusing on the semivariogram, I'm assuming its the latter
      you want. The ratio of the variance to the mean (counts/quadrat) and
      Ripley's K are two indices of contagion used to describe point processes.
      The semivariogram is not the best tool to analyze your data with. I would
      look in Cressie's book, Chapter 8 on Spatial point patterns. If you want
      to generate alternative realizations or describe your distribution, one (or
      more) of these can be fitted to your data.

      Good luck.

      Yetta