AI-GEOSTATS: Different Spatial Lag tolerance?

  • Rubens Caldeira Monteiro
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2001
      Dear all,

      I'm using a MATLAB program to plot covariance (and to find a model, as
      we usually do for variagrams in Geostatistics).

      Till today I've just used lag tolerance as half of the spatial lag,
      larger as possible to take account of all possible distances and smaller
      as possible to don't take in account the same pairs.

      This program allow us to define different lag-tolerance to different lags,
      but doing this the mean of pais covariance for each lag, considering each
      lag-tolerance, is different, and allow us to choose easilly a model.

      Is better than do variograms/covariograms for differents lags to see wich
      lag give us a good experimental variogram/cov., even considering the
      "physical knowledge" (geology, limits etc.) to choose lags.

      My question is: Do we have problems with our var./cov. if we don't
      consider some pairs or take in account the same pairs more than one time
      (overlaping)? Or we can consider this like a flexibility, depending on the
      expert knowledge or judgement?

      Thanks,

      Rubens Caldeira Monteiro
      PhD. candidate on "Geosciences and Environmental Sciences"

      University of the State of Sao Paulo at Rio Claro - UNESP-RC
      http://www.rc.unesp.br/igce/dga
      rubenscm@...

      University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - UNC-CH (visiting scholar)
      http://www.unc.edu/~rubenscm
      rcmonteiro@...