AI-GEOSTATS: geostatistical software

  • Sigrun Kværnø
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2002
      ** Reply Requested When Convenient **

      Dear colleagues,

      I don't have much experience with geostatistics, but from now on I will use it in my PhD-study on spatial variability in soil physical properties and hydrological processes. I've been looking for the "ultimate" software for some time now, and I've tried GS+ from Gamma Designs and Genstat5 from the Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd. I also have access to Arcview spatial analyst (ESRI). My newest data typically show significant spatial trends, and some data exhibit very distinct periodicity. I'd be very greatful to get some advice on what software to choose (unfortunately I'm not very good at programming...), and also some comments on your experiences with the already mentioned programs.

      Thanks!

      Best regards,
      Sigrun

      Sigrun H. Kværnø
      Centre for Soil and Environmental Research
      Frederik A. Dahls vei 20
      N-1432 Ås
      NORWAY

    • uleopold
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2002
        Either use Gstat (www.gstat.org) or/and gslib (www.gslib.com).

        Both maybe not as user friendly in the sense of nice GUIs as the software
        you used so far. but they are very powerful and provide lots of methods
        and oportunities to solve spatial stats problems. It is worth using them.
        And they are free :-)

        there are also quite a number of possibilities in R (S-Plus clone)
        (www.r-project.org). But I do not know much about the modules. But R is
        worth using anyway because it is a quite powerful statistics software,
        maybe the most powerful at the moment. And it is free again.

        Regards, Ulrich

        On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Sigrun Kværnø wrote:

        > ** Reply Requested When Convenient **
        >
        > Dear colleagues,
        >
        > I don't have much experience with geostatistics, but from now on I will use it in my PhD-study on spatial variability in soil physical properties and hydrological processes. I've been looking for the "ultimate" software for some time now, and I've tried GS+ from Gamma Designs and Genstat5 from the Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd. I also have access to Arcview spatial analyst (ESRI). My newest data typically show significant spatial trends, and some data exhibit very distinct periodicity. I'd be very greatful to get some advice on what software to choose (unfortunately I'm not very good at programming...), and also some comments on your experiences with the already mentioned programs.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Sigrun
        >

        > Sigrun H. Kværnø
        > Centre for Soil and Environmental Research
        > Frederik A. Dahls vei 20
        > N-1432 Ås
        > NORWAY

        Ulrich Leopold MSc.

        Department of Physical Geography
        Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
        Faculty of Science
        University of Amsterdam
        Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
        NL-1018WV Amsterdam

        Phone: +31-(0)20-525-7456 (7451 Secretary)
        Fax: +31-(0)20-525-7431
        Email: uleopold@...
        http://www.frw.uva.nl/soil/Welcome.html

        Check us also out at:
        Netherlands Centre for Geo-ecological Research
        http://www.frw.uva.nl/icg