Re: AI-GEOSTATS: spatial statistics for small data sets

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2001
      Dear Raechel

      The answer to your question is a bit
      chicken-and-egg-ish.

      If your data is well behaved (simple distribution,
      pretty continuous) then you can get meaningful results
      from very few samples (probably not less than 20 or
      so!!)

      We have examples in the book with data sets of 27 and
      up. The 27 one is no good for geostatistics but this
      has more to do with the fact that the samples are 1km
      apart when the range of influence is probably about
      125 metres. The main tutorial set in the old book
      (available free at
      http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/practica.html)
      which we now call "Page 95" has 50 samples very
      inefficiently placed which still yield good results
      for interpretation and estimation purposes. Even more
      so for simulation basis.

      So, I would say, go ahead and try it but look at your
      distribution before you go to geostatistics. Small
      data sets will give much better results if Normal
      (Gaussian) or normalised or transformed in some other
      way.

      If I can be of any more help, please let me know
      Isobel Clark