AI-GEOSTATS: Generating skewed distributions

  • William Thayer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2002
      I am interested in comparing different estimators of spatial means. Any
      suggestions or approaches on how to generate a 2-D, autocorrelated, skewed
      distribution that exhibits non-stationary mean and variance?

      Thanks in advance for your ideas.
      William C. Thayer, P.E.

      Environmental Science Center
      Syracuse Research Corporation
      301 Plainfield Road, Suite 350
      Syracuse, NY 13212
      phone: (315) 452-8424
      fax: (315) 452-8440
      email: thayer@...
      web: http://esc.syrres.com/
      http://esc.syrres.com/geosem/

    • Edzer J. Pebesma
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2002
        Yes. Generate a Gaussian random field, add a deterministic trend
        surface, and take the exponent or a power transform of the sum.
        --
        Edzer