AI-GEOSTATS: urgent news on Isobel's briefcase

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29 2:43 PM
      Dear All

      I have received a couple of emails about difficulties
      with accessing the stuff in my Yahoo "briefcase".
      Please accept my apologies for not reading the small
      print.

      Apparently Yahoo has ceased allowing public access to
      briefcase files as of 25th March 2002. I am working
      hard to move and update all of the files and links and
      hope you will bear with me in the meantime.

      They should be working by Monday 1st April. If you
      find any false or broken links after that please
      please let me know.

      Isobel Clark
      http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/briefcase.html

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com

    • Julian Ortiz
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 10, 2003
        Hi Dean,

        Average over a moving window can help you show how the mean (and variance)
        changes with location... This may indicate that a stationary random function
        model will not be appropriate for your data. You can also use indicator maps.

        An approach to handle the "trend" is to use an estimation or simulation method
        with locally varying mean, or to use a secondary variable as external drift.
        IRF-k methods are also an alternative. Removing the trend and working with the
        residuals carries some problems: you may end up overfitting the trend and
        loosing all the correlation in your residuals.

        You can look at almost any book in Geostatistics to find more details:

        GSLIB: Geostatistical Software Library and User's Guide, by Deutsch and
        Journel (1997)

        Geostatistics for Natural Resources Evaluation, by Goovaerts (1997)

        Geostatistics: Modeling Spatial Uncertainty, by Chiles and Delfiner (1999)

        Hope this helps,

        Julian.
        -------------------------
        Julian Ortiz C., Ph.D.
        jmo1@...
        www.ualberta.ca/~jmo1
        -------------------------

        >===== Original Message From Dean Monroe <monroea@...> =====
        >Group:
        >
        > How is the best to graphically show non-stationarity in spatial data with
        say one variable of interest and two dimensions? In time series, one can plot
        realizations over time, what is the spatial analog?
        > Second, what may a person do to correct non-stationarity? Again, in time
        series a common practice is to use first, second, etc differences.

        >Best,
        >Dean Monroe
        >Oklahoma State University
        >Environmental Sciences

      • Ines
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2004
          dear elisa
          I think it is possible to check the relation between your data and these are outside the study are.
          you can investigate all the data using geostatistical analyst (semivariogram - covariance cloud), selecting after only the new data you can see if they are located in this diagramm (near the other point or father by them) and then you can decide if they are connected with your data or not.