Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Ore Reserves Classification

  • Turkan Kaynak
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2002
      Dear Jose,
      I'm a mining engineer and I think I can answer your question. We use kriging variance for reserve classification. I think you know, the reserves are classified depend on their error quantity and this quantity can be represented using variance. If we use kriging for reserve estimation you can use kriging variance and classified reserves as possible, probable or proved reserves.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2002
          List Members,

          The use of the kriging variance to categorise/classify Mineral (Ore) Resources and/or Ore Reserves is an old chestnut that periodically raises it's ugly head. The kriging variance is related, pure and simply, to the data configuration and has nothing to do with the sample grades/variables being used for interpolation. As an example say a grade was being interpolated into a block which has been sampled on each corner, regardless of what the individual sample grades are, the kriging variance for that block is going to be the same. Example: if all four samples have the same grade of (say) 2.35g/t Au you will get the same kriging variance as the case where the four samples grades are (say) 0.01, 102.9, 0.88 and 3.60 g/t Au. Naturally I would have more confidence in the interpolated grade in the former scenario than the latter; thus the use of the kriging variance to determine confidence (or classification) of an estimate is misleading.

          One method of obtaining some feel for the possible error range would be to run a large number of grade simulations into the block, the variance of all simulated grades would give an indication of error - again in the example given above, the variance of the simulated grades using the former case would be much smaller than in the latter case.

          Of course classification of Mineral (Ore) Resources and/or Ore Reserves needs to take into account a lot more items (as expounded by the JORC (1999) code) - than just some objective measure of estimation error, it needs to take into consideration, amongst other things, data quality - if you have poor quality data (eg biased/inaccurate), regardless of how good any statistical measure of the estimation error is, you will always have poor estimate.

          REFERENCES
          JORC; 1999: Australasian code for reporting of mineral resources and ore reserves (the JORC Code). Prepared by the Joint Ore Reserves Committee of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Australian Institute of Geoscientists and Minerals Council of Australia (JORC).

          Richard Hague
          Hellman & Schofield Pty Ltd
          Brisbane Office
          p&f: +61 (0)7 3217 7355
          e: richardh@...
          w: http://www.hellscho.com.au

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
            Richard

            Thanks for the clear exposition on the limitation of
            the kriging variance as a measure of reliability for
            block estimation.

            It should, perhaps, be pointed out that the kriging
            variance is what we minimise and hence, surely, some
            measure of reliability? The whole geometry versus
            variability thing has been at issue since Philips and
            Watson provided their seminal (sic) paper in 1986.
            Given consistent data quality and a Normal (gaussian)
            distribution, geometry is what determines likely
            error. Under those circumstances, 1000 simulations
            will yield an average of the kriged value and a
            standard deviation equal to the kriging standard
            deviation.

            If the data quality is not consistent and the
            distribution of values is not Gaussian, then your
            comments hold particular force. Since these are the
            circumstances under which I labour daily, I would
            appreciate any and all suggestions as to what we use
            instead. Simulation is not an option when you have
            hundreds of thousands of blocks and a limited time to
            produce a reserve.

            Isobel Clark
            http://www.stokos.demon.co.uk

            http://uk.my.yahoo.com

          • Stelpstra, David
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2002
              Dear list members,

              I wish to make a remark on the discussion started on the kriging variance.
              In my opinion the SD of the solution obtained by kriging is determined by
              two effects. One is the (geometrical) distribution of the data, the other
              one is the (a priori) standard deviation of the data. Richards remark is
              right if the data has equal weights or standard deviations (SD). However if
              the data is all weighted equally (by say 1.0) we will get a scaled 'SD'. If
              you like studentized statistics, you can get a estimate for the SD of the
              solution by multiplying with the a posteriori variance factor.

              In our problems (cross validation of bathymetry data) we have a estimate for
              the SD, which we use in the covariance function for the kriging problem. The
              resulting SD of the solution will depend on the chosen a priori SD for the
              samples.

              Just my 2 cents,
              David.

              Quality Positioning Services bv, Huis ter Heideweg 16, 3705 LZ
              Zeist, the Netherlands
              Tel +31 (0)30 6925825, Fax +31 (0)30 6923663, Web http://www.qps.nl
              <http://www.qps.nl/>

              e: richardh@... <mailto:richardh@...>