AI-GEOSTATS: Basic structure interpretation

  • nic-zac@libero.it
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2002
      I'm re-posting my question becouse i've experienced some problems with
      my e-mail service.

      It's a newby question so sorry for bothering.

      After reading Goovaerts' Geostatistics for Natural Resources Evaluation
      and Isaaks and Srivastava's Applied Geostatistics I still haven't found
      a way to corectly choose among variogram models.

      Is a spherical model linked closer to a particular type of spatial
      process? Are continous and smooth processes better described by
      sphercial or and exponential model? Choosing between a sphericl or an
      exponetial model is just a matter of fitting to experimental variogram
      or is there specific reason on how the process under analysis works?

      As an ecologist I have to provide a "meaningful" explanation of why
      using a specific kind of model to describe my experimental variogram of
      an difference image of NDVI values derived from Landsat satellite.

      Any suggestion will be helpful.

      Thanks to all.

      * Dott. Nicola Zaccarelli
      * Lab. di Ecologia del Paesaggio
      * Dip. di Scienze e Tecnologie Biologiche ed Ambientali
      * Università di Lecce
      Prov.le Lecce-Monteroni
      73100 - LECCE

      Tel. (+39)- 0832-320.896