AI-GEOSTATS: Pronunciation of "Kriging"

  • Marcus Schneider
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2002
      Thanks for all your answers (N=39) !!!

      It seems that I was not the only one who was not sure about the "right" pronunciation. Most of you say "Kriging" with long I and hard G (34/87%). There are two exceptions: 1. France: they created their own word "krigeage" and 2. UK: all three answers from the UK voted for a G like "prodigy".

      Some interesting answers are attached.

      Thanks,
      Marcus

      Hi Marcus

      Option a, Kriging was named by Matheron in honour of Danie Krige. In South
      Africa Krige is pronounced with a hard g, very guttural (get hold of a
      German/ Dutch speaker and ask them to pronounce it).

      In terms of country..
      South Africa, Johannesburg and work on a Witwatersrand gold mine,
      approximately 50Km to the west of Johannesburg (the town is called
      Carletonville).

      M. Burnett
      Ore Reserve Manager
      Elandskraal
      Production Unit 1 (Deelkraal)
      Tel. 018 785 6625

      This is what I think:
      It depends!

      (1) In USA, Kriging is said with a G like in "orGanize"
      (2) In Euorpe (most likely), it is pronounced with a normal G like in "Geometry".

      In Other countries of the world, it is said according to one of the above 2 conventions, based on whatever (European or American)
      influnece more in their education or in GEO-business activities. In our geostatistical work, I say it as (1) above.

      Thanks,
      Sulaiman AlBassam

      Dhahran- Saudi Arabia
      e-mail: basssh0a@...
      Marcus,
      I pronounce it with a hard G as in "organize".
      I work for the European Commission's Joint Research Centre in Ispra, Italy. The employees come from all Member States and a few other countries (e.g. USA, Canada), so we have an interesting sample to draw from. The only way I have heard kriging pronounced here is with a hard G.

      Best regards,
      Tore Tollefsen
      __________________
      Tore Tollefsen
      European Commission - Joint Research Centre
      Institute for Environment and Sustainability
      TP 321
      I-21020 Ispra (VA)
      Italy
      Tel: +39 0332 785423
      Fax: +39 0332 785466
      E-mail: tore.tollefsen@...
      Web: http://www.jrc.org/

      In France, the word "krigeage" has been forged, and is the translation of
      "kriging". In the french pronounciation, both "g" pronounce _here_
      similarly, a soft sound between the 'y' of "young" and the 'dj' of "June".
      Krigeage can therefore be decomposed as :
      . "kree-", like in "cryptic" ;
      . "-'j'a-", like in "jar" without the beginning 'd' ; and
      . "-'j'", somehow like in the first phonem of "judge", still without the
      opening 'd' !

      So, my natural tendancy for the english pronounciation is... was choice
      "b)", like in "prodigy". However, I now use to pronounce it like in "a)",
      with the same hard "g" we also have in french ("grand" = "great"),
      essentially because most english people I met and discussed with about
      that, used to pronounce it this way ! (But if general agreement pushes
      toward that, I am ready to change the way I pronounce it :-) ).

      By the way, I would be happy to know how South Africans used to say Danie
      Krige !

      Yours sincerely
      --Éric Lewin

      +=[ Éric LEWIN <mailto:eric.lewin@...> Tél: (33/0)4 76 63 59 13 ]=+
      +===[ Laboratoire de Géodynamique des Chaînes Alpines), Grenoble (France) ]===+
      Morgen Marcus,

      > a) "Kriging" with G like in "organize"
      > or
      > b) "Kriging" with G like in "prodigy"?

      My personal answer is a),
      but I may pronounce b) if surrounded by b)-pronouncing people.

      Auxiliary information can be found in the signature.

      Glückauf,
      Laurent
      ````'''
      (-) (-)
      (_
      -----------------------------OOOO- _ -OOOO-----------------
      Laurent BERTINO

      Ecole des Mines de Paris bertino@...
      Centre de Geostatistique http://cg.ensmp.fr/~bertino
      35, rue St Honore Fax : (33) 1 64 69 47 05
      F-77305 Fontainebleau Tel : (33) 1 64 69 47 77
      France

      La page d'Aldona : http://aldona.trad.org
      Dear Marcus
      Many english speakers pronounce the g in "kriging" as in prodigy which I
      think is incorrect and stems from a lack of exposure to Afrikaans (or
      Dutch). Kriging comes from the surname Krige which is pronounced like the G
      in organise but with a more throaty "ggaa". Strictly speaking the the G
      should sound a lot heavier than organise.

      Note: with advice from SPD.

      Regards, Gavin (ex Cape Town/South Africa)

      Hello list members,

      It seems to me that the "Kriging" pronunciation issue is a case of deterministic
      linguistic syntatic statistics. We can easily determine the true value of the
      "Krige" pronounciation, eliminating the outlier value "e" and adding a new data
      value "ing" or "en" that is more consistent with the linguistic objectives of
      the distribution makes the overall syntatic pronounciation distribution less
      peaked, and definitely more skewed. Implementing and interpreting these
      statistical processes should lead us closer to a consistent pronunciation of
      "Kriging".

      Regards,
      Shivanand.
    • Colin Daly
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2002
        Hi all

        Sorry to flog a dead horse but if there is room for one tiny point of clarification... The French didn't invent "their own word 'krigeage' " - they, or more precisely Georges Matheron who was French, invented the subject of geostatistics and along with it the word. I don't know who gave it the English translation. I also don't know if Matheron ever pronounced it in English - but if he did it would have been a very rare event! I never heard him utter a word of English in the 5 years that I was at the centre de geostatistique.

        Personally - I don't use the UK pronunciation - rather the one suggested by Gavin from Cape Town(ggaa).

        Bye for now

        Colin Daly

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2002
          Hi Colin,

          Thanks for reminding this historical fact...

          Pierre

          ________ ________
          | \ / | Pierre Goovaerts
          |_ \ / _| Assistant professor
          | | The University of Michigan
          _| |_\ /_| |_
          | |\ /| | E-mail: goovaert@...
          |________| \/ |________| Phone: (734) 936-0141
          Fax: (734) 763-2275
          http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~goovaert/

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2002
            Oh dear.

            The word krigeage appears in Matheron's original work
            (in the French).
            Isobel Clark

            http://uk.my.yahoo.com

          • Marcelo Godoy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 29, 2002
              Hi,

              Perhaps you should all read the paper by D.G.KRIGE, which is the
              first Keynote of the 2000 International Geostatistical Congress,
              and get a proper perspective about the how Geostatistics has really
              started off.

              Cheers,

              Marcelo Godoy
              BRC, Australia

              > Colin Daly wrote:
              >
              > Hi all
              >
              > Sorry to flog a dead horse but if there is room for one tiny point of
              > clarification... The French didn't invent "their own word 'krigeage' "
              > - they, or more precisely Georges Matheron who was French, invented
              > the subject of geostatistics and along with it the word. I don't know
              > who gave it the English translation. I also don't know if Matheron
              > ever pronounced it in English - but if he did it would have been a
              > very rare event! I never heard him utter a word of English in the 5
              > years that I was at the centre de geostatistique.
              >
              > Personally - I don't use the UK pronunciation - rather the one
              > suggested by Gavin from Cape Town(ggaa).
              >
              > Bye for now
              >
              > Colin Daly

              Marcelo C. Godoy, MSc, PhD candidate
              University of Queensland Tel: +61 7 3365 1674
              W.H. Bryan Mining Geology Research Centre Fax : +61 7 3365 7028
              Brisbane, Qld 4072, Australia Home: +61 7 3870 7069
              E-mail: marcelo@...
              http://www.minmet.uq.edu.au/~bryan/staff/marcelo.html