AI-GEOSTATS: How do you pronounce it?

  • Marcus Schneider
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2002
      Dear Listers,

      my question is a very simple one: How do YOU pronounce "Kriging"?

      Do you say:

      a) "Kriging" with G like in "organize"
      or
      b) "Kriging" with G like in "prodigy"?

      Please add also information about the City/Country you're living.

      I hope to receive a great amount of answers to evaluate
      it statistically and I promise to let you know about the results.

      Thank you in advance!

      Marcus

    • Rudi Dutter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 29, 2002
        Dear Marcus,

        I clearly favor your proposal a) .

        Because you are from Germany, I would like to add that in the German language I
        would never use the word "kriging" but "krigen". There is no reason to use the
        English expression (as it is often seen) because the owner of the name "Krige"
        lives in South Africa.

        P.S. I am from Vienna/Austria.

        Best wishes and regards,
        Rudi

        --
        ~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
        From: Prof. Dr. Rudolf Dutter
        Dept. of Statistics and Probability Theory
        Vienna University of Technology,
        Wiedner Hauptstr. 8-10
        A-1040 Vienna, Austria
        Tel. +43 1 58801/10730
        FAX +43 1 58801/10799
        E-Mail: R.Dutter@...
        Internet: http://www.statistik.tuwien.ac.at/public/dutt/
        ~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

      • Brown, Gavin
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 29, 2002
          Dear Marcus
          Many english speakers pronounce the g in "kriging" as in prodigy which I
          think is incorrect and stems from a lack of exposure to Afrikaans (or
          Dutch). Kriging comes from the surname Krige which is pronounced like the G
          in organise but with a more throaty "ggaa". Strictly speaking the the G
          should sound a lot heavier than organise.

          Note: with advice from SPD.

          Regards, Gavin (ex Cape Town/South Africa)

          my question is a very simple one: How do YOU pronounce "Kriging"?

          Do you say:

          a) "Kriging" with G like in "organize"
          or
          b) "Kriging" with G like in "prodigy"?

          Please add also information about the City/Country you're living.

          I hope to receive a great amount of answers to evaluate
          it statistically and I promise to let you know about the results.

          Thank you in advance!

          Marcus

          The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may
          be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
          you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any
          part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
          received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying
          to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to
          ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail and the sender cannot
          accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this
          e-mail or attachments.

        • Shivanand Balram
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 29, 2002
            Hello list members,

            It seems to me that the "Kriging" pronunciation issue is a case of deterministic
            linguistic syntatic statistics. We can easily determine the true value of the
            "Krige" pronounciation, eliminating the outlier value "e" and adding a new data
            value "ing" or "en" that is more consistent with the linguistic objectives of
            the distribution makes the overall syntatic pronounciation distribution less
            peaked, and definitely more skewed. Implementing and interpreting these
            statistical processes should lead us closer to a consistent pronunciation of
            "Kriging".

            Regards,

            Shivanand.

            > Marcus Schneider wrote:
            >
            > Dear Listers,
            >
            > my question is a very simple one: How do YOU pronounce "Kriging"?
            >
            > Do you say:
            >
            > a) "Kriging" with G like in "organize"
            > or
            > b) "Kriging" with G like in "prodigy"?
            >
            > Please add also information about the City/Country you're living.
            >
            > I hope to receive a great amount of answers to evaluate
            > it statistically and I promise to let you know about the results.
            >
            > Thank you in advance!
            >
            > Marcus

          • Ian Glacken
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 29, 2002
              Having spent some time with Danie Krige, I note that he himself
              pronounces kriging with a hard 'g' (as in 'grand' or 'organize'), and
              not with the guttural Afrikaans 'g' (which of course is how he
              pronounces his name).

              Another pronunciation I have heard is 'krigging' - in other words, a
              short 'i'.

              Regards

              Ian Glacken

              Ian M Glacken
              Snowden Mining Industry Consultants
              87 Colin Street, Perth WA 6005, Australia
              Tel: (+61) 9211 8613

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 30, 2002
                er...
                actually, the guttural 'g' should be in 'grand' or 'organize':
                try to taste the sound...

                max

[...]

                any useful responses to your questions.