RE: AI-GEOSTATS: Moran's I/ stream network situation

  • godboutl@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2002
      HI all!

      Thanks for suggesting CRIMESTAT to calculate Moran I. It is a great software
      and the documentation is very good.

      I am working with fish in streams and rivers and at the regional level. I
      am dealing with a large number of rivers, which may belong to different
      networks. As a result any statistics based on distance alone might be
      misleading (for example distance between river 1 and 2 might be the same
      than the distance between river 1 and 3, but river 3 may be part of a
      different network. Given that it will be appropriate to use "true distance"
      - a "true" distance between two rivers might be the distance that the fish
      would have to travel from one river to the next.

      My questions are:

      1) Estimating true distance: is there some software that can estimate
      distance for a stream network? ( I am currently using ARCVIEW)

      2) If we assume that one can come up with a matrix of "true distance" - It
      is not clear to me that CRIMESTAT could import such a matrix. Is anyone
      could confirm that for me?

      3) If not CRIMESTAT could not import the distance matrix, is anyone know of
      another software (ideally free) that could handle this situation?

      I thank you very much for your help

      Lyse Godbout
      Fisheries and Oceans Canada
      Salmon Stock Assessment