AI-GEOSTATS: Variowin Maximal distance option

  • Peter Bossew
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2002
      dear list,

      I have a question on Variowin software. The 'Prevar2D' module (which is
      used to create the pair files) has an option to select maximum differences
      dx and dy in the x- and y-coordinates in order to reduce the number of
      pairs (useful if there are too many data points, see Yves Pannatier's book
      page 26).
      I would expect that variograms calculated out of pair-files truncated this
      way should have a maximum lag = sqr(dx^2 + dy^2). But in fact the
      variograms go until the largest lag allowed by the range of the
      coordinates.

      But maybe I just did not understand the idea of the 'maximum distance'
      option ?? (The manual does not say anything further about it.)

      Thanks for advice !

      Peter Bossew
      Institute of Physics and Biophysics, University of Salzburg, Austria

      home: Georg Sigl-Gasse 13/11, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
      ph. +43-1-3177627, e-mail: p.bossew@...

    • Adrián Martínez Vargas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2002
        In Variowin Help appear

        In order to reduce the size of the pair comparison file, and hence the
        memory requirements of PREVAR2D and VARIO2DP, a Pair Comparison File can be
        constructed from subsets of the available data :

        1) Subsets can be based on maximum difference in X and/or Y coordinates
        using the Settings | X and Y coordinates... menu item.
        2) Subsets can be based on acceptable ranges of variables values using
        the Settings | Limits... menu item.

        In practice it is the same to not include in the analysis the lag that are
        not in the range of maximum difference in X and/or Y.

        The formula maximum lag = sqr(dx^2 + dy^2) is to rigid, in practice the
        maximum lag depend of the objective of your work, some times the larges lag
        give you interesting information for understand the behavior of the data. If
        you pretend to utilize the variogram to estimate, refine shortest lags.

        King regards

        Adrian Martínez Vargas
        Ing. Geolólo (profesor)
        Istituto Superior Minero Metalúrgico (ISMM)
        Las Coloradas, s/n
        Reparto Caribe.
        Moa, Holguín, Cuba
        CP 83329
        E. Mail: amvargas@...

        ---------
        Peter Bossew
        Institute of Physics and Biophysics, University of Salzburg, Austria

        home: Georg Sigl-Gasse 13/11, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
        ph. +43-1-3177627, e-mail: p.bossew@...

        any useful responses to your questions.