RE: AI-GEOSTATS: Summary: Extreme Values?

  • Myers, Jeff
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
      Ted's comments on thr regulatory perpspective brings up some interesting
      issues, assuming this were an hazardous waste site. First, since the upper
      5 percent accounts for such a high percentage of the mass of lead, a
      surgical cleanup targeting the "hot spots" might be sufficient.
      Environmental remediation is focused on reducing risk to human health and
      the environment, and if removing the high zones brings the average lead
      concentration below th risk-based threshold, then the remediation is
      successful.

      Next, in remediation, the remediation decision support unit is as important
      as the sample and subsample support. A few extreme values can be "diluted"
      out if a large decision unit is selected.

      Furthermore, a "hot spot" must be defined with relation to its size and
      concentration (at a minimum). Then the impact of the size/support of the
      "hot spot" can be determined in relation to the decision unit support. So
      basically, the only things you need to remember in environmental
      characterization and decision-making are support, support, and support
      (sample, subsample, decision unit).

      As far as contouring, issues still remain. It's hard to contour yourself
      out of a situation you sampled yourself into.

      Happy Holidays and a Prosperous New Year!

      Jeff Myers
      Westinghouse Safety Management Solutions
      2131 S. Centennial Dr., SE
      Aiken, SC 29803
      jeff.myers@...
      http://www.gemdqos.com

      Date: 22-Dec-01 Time: 21:38:33

    • Ted Harding
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
        On 29-Dec-01 Myers, Jeff wrote:
        > Ted's comments on the regulatory perspective bring up some
        > interesting issues, assuming this were an hazardous waste site.

        Jeff, Thanks for your comments which are very much to the point.

        > It's hard to contour yourself out of a situation you sampled
        > yourself into.

        With your permission (which I assume will not be unreasonably
        withheld) I propose to trot out this delightful maxim on
        suitable occasions!

        Thanks for this too -- just in time to set me smiling for
        the New Year.

        Best wishes to all,

        Date: 29-Dec-01 Time: 19:22:06

      • Myers, Jeff
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
          Permission granted. And a Happy New Year to all!

          Jeff

          Date: 29-Dec-01 Time: 19:22:06