AI-GEOSTATS: Searching for sample data

  • Marcus Schneider
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2001
      Hi all,

      I'm preparing a course in Geostatistics for ESRI Germany and
      I never thought it was so difficult to find a simple dataset
      to demonstrate some typical geostatistics-related topics.

      I dream of data with the following properties:
      a) area: in Germany
      b) point data to calculate variography and do kriging
      c) containing variables with different spatial behaviour,
      e.g. Temperature, Precipitation and concentration of ozone.
      d) free
      e) it must make sense to apply Kriging & Co.

      I was very happy if someone could help me to find
      appropriate data or point me to something helpful...

      Last I have to apologize fo my bad english.

      Thanks in advance,

      Marcus Schneider

    • Eric.LEWIN@uJF-Grenoble.fr
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 18, 2001
        A 0:46 +0100 19/12/01, Marcus Schneider a écrit:
        >[...] help me to find appropriate data or point me to something helpful...

        I always consider as very useful, if not a necessary step, to built a fully
        hand-made (or brain-made :-)) set of "data", with all the characteristics
        well known, because you monitor them, except maybe some part of random
        noise or probability driven parameters (e.g. it could be the locations of
        sampling). So, your statistical treatment(s) should be able to find what
        you know being there !

        Moreover, a priori sensitivity analysis is, from that point, and specially
        if your test set of data is somehow "not too far" from the real sets of
        data, just the next step, with systematics or Monte Carlo repeated
        variations of the same procedure.

        >Last I have to apologize fo my bad english.

        So do I !

        --Éric

        +=[ Éric LEWIN <mailto:eric.lewin@...> Tél: (33/0)4 76 63 59 13 ]=+
        | \ >>>>> LGCA <<<<< / |
        | === OSUG === \ Labo. de Géodynamique / === UJF === |
        | Observatoire des Sciences \ des Chaînes Alpines / Université Joseph |
        += de l'Univers de Grenoble ===\= Grenoble (France) =/== Fourier, Grenoble-1 =+

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2001
          Marcus

          I can't help you with data in Germany but you will
          find many data sets freely available in my briefcase,
          at:

          http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/briefcase.html

          There are also many data sets available on the web, if
          you have time to surf.

          Isobel Clark

          http://uk.my.yahoo.com