AI-GEOSTATS: Multinomial (Discrete) Kriging

  • Kenneth Cabrera
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2001
      Hi list!

      I want to know if there any software that works with multinomial
      (discrete) spatial variable.

      Is it valid to work pairwaise with binomial variable and make a join
      to obtain the multinomial distribution?

      Thank you very much for your help

      Kenneth

    • Brian R Gray
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2001
        are you working with nominal or ordinal data? if you are interested in
        inferences on the mean and if spatial correlation isn't exceptional, then
        you can lump correlation with other sources of overdispersion and use an
        overdispersion estimate to adjust the expected variance (ie
        psi*pi(1-pi)/n). since you're interested in the correlation itself you may
        be in a different world. within a modeling context, multinomial analysis
        often assumes an underlying or latent distribution (distributions plural
        under some assumptions). Chiles and Delfiner (pp100-103) demonstrate how
        the correlation associated with a latent bivariate Gaussian is more or less
        retained when dichotomized near the mean but is rapidly lost as the
        dichotomization moves away from the latent mean. I would imagine (but
        don't know) that--using the median and shape--similar arguments could be
        made for other latent distributions. this would appear to suggest that you
        may expect correlation to be highest for nominal or cumulative categories
        with prevalence nearest .5. if your data are not at least 1st-order
        stationary, then you may expect both the categories nearest the median and
        the correlation of all categories to change over space. I would appreciate
        other comments on this topic. brian

        Brian Gray
        USGS Upper Midwest Environmental Sciences Center
        575 Lester Road
        Onalaska, WI 54650
        608-783-7550 ext 19
        FAX 608-783-8058
        brgray@...

        Kenneth Cabrera
        <krcabrer@... To: "ai-geostats@..." <ai-geostats@...>
        ed.edu.co> cc:
        Sent by: Subject: AI-GEOSTATS: Multinomial (Discrete) Kriging
        ai-geostats-list@unil.c

        11/29/2001 08:27 AM
        Please respond to
        Kenneth Cabrera

        Hi list!

        I want to know if there any software that works with multinomial
        (discrete) spatial variable.

        Is it valid to work pairwaise with binomial variable and make a join
        to obtain the multinomial distribution?

        Thank you very much for your help

        Kenneth

        any useful responses to your questions.