AI-GEOSTATS: ai-geostats: Simulating spatial autocorrelation?

  • Mark C Andersen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hello all,

      I'm looking for code (preferably MATLAB) or pseudocode
      to simulate a 2D spatially-autocorrelated grid with
      user-settable autocorrelation. I'd also like to find
      an algorithm for generating a fractal on a grid.

      I'm just generating simulated habitats for simulation
      studies of animal population dynamics and foraging. I
      don't (at this time) need to simulate conditionally on
      data.

      Thanks in advance for any pointers, advice, etc.

      Dr. Mark C. Andersen, Associate Professor
      Department of Fishery and Wildlife Sciences
      Campus Box 4901
      New Mexico State University
      Las Cruces, NM 88003-0003
      phone: 505-646-8034
      fax: 505-646-1281

    • Marc Serre
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2001
        Mark,
        Try BMElib, at http://www.unc.edu/depts/case/BMELIB/

        Example 1: Generate a field on a 10Km by 10Km grid with 1Km increment
        using an exponential covariance with variance=4, range=5Km and
        mean=12,

        [X Y]=meshgrid(0:10,0:10);
        covmodel='exponentialC';
        covparam=[4 5];
        z=12+simuchol([X(:) Y(:)],covmodel,covparam);
        pcolor(X,Y,reshape(z,11,11));

        See fig1.jpeg

        Example 2: Generate a field at 40 random points in the same domain
        using the same covariance and mean:

        p=10*rand(40,2);
        Z=12+simuchol(p,covmodel,covparam);
        colorplot(p,Z);

        See fig2.jpeg

        Note, attached is the MATLAB file used to generate the jpeg figures
        included in this email.

        Cheers,
        Marc Serre
        Research Assistant Professor
        Center for the Advanced Study of the Environment (CASE)
        Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering (DESE)
        CB 7400, 104 Rosenau Hall
        Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7431, USA
        e-mail: marc_serre@...
        phone: 919-966-7014
        fax: 919-966-7911
        homepage: http://www.unc.edu/~mserre/ESEhome.html
        BMElib: http://www.unc.edu/depts/case/BMELIB/
        SERRA: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00477/index.htm

        I'm looking for code (preferably MATLAB) or pseudocode
        to simulate a 2D spatially-autocorrelated grid with
        user-settable autocorrelation. I'd also like to find
        an algorithm for generating a fractal on a grid.

        I'm just generating simulated habitats for simulation
        studies of animal population dynamics and foraging. I
        don't (at this time) need to simulate conditionally on
        data.

        Thanks in advance for any pointers, advice, etc.

        Dr. Mark C. Andersen, Associate Professor
        Department of Fishery and Wildlife Sciences
        Campus Box 4901
        New Mexico State University
        Las Cruces, NM 88003-0003
        phone: 505-646-8034
        fax: 505-646-1281

        * As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary
        list