[SUM] Minimum sampling area for geostatistics?

  • entomology@8848.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2001
      Dear listers,

      Sorry to summarize so late. Firstly, with my thanks to Digby
      Millikan, Isobel Clark, Andrew J. Lister, Jens Nieschulze, Donald E.
      Myers, Brian Gray, especially to Jens Nieschulze and Andrew J.
      Lister, who are so kind to send the references/articles to me.

      Original Question: Is a 50m*100m forest plot with 1623 trees enough
      to geostat species distribution?

      1 There are different opinions about area, Isobel thinks it is number
      and spatial distribution of samples rather than area coverage, Jens
      holds the view that it depends on the forest (trees density?) and the
      plot shape should be square, Andrew thinks there are enough trees.

      2 On the methods, Donald gives the general rules in detail, however,
      most of them advise me to adopt indicator variogram and indicator
      kriging, Digby sets different values for different species, Andrew
      sets 0, 1 for the absence/presence of one species. Brian suggests
      that it is a matter of multivariate normal assumptions more than a
      multivariate binominal one.

      Since I am a newer in geostat, there must be some misunderstanding,
      please feel free to correct it.

      Thanks again!

      Xiaohua Dai
      Institute of Botany,School of Life Sciences,
      Zhongshan University,Guangzhou,Guangdong Province,
      P.R.China
      Zip Code: 510275
      Tel:0086-20-84111117
      dxhchina@...