AI-GEOSTATS: Spatial Sampling References

  • Warren Schlechte
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2001
      I have recently done some spatial sampling and discovered that the
      population under investigation appears somewhat periodic (frequency and
      amplitude vary with location, but there appear to be areas of highs and
      lows that change gradually across space). The period appears to
      correspond somewhat to physical gradients in the system. What
      references address the best way to sample periodic (or quasi-periodic)
      systems. For instance, I would think that a systematic sample would be
      a poor choice when the frequency is unknown, but may be an optimal
      choice when the frequency is known. Stratification based on physical
      conditions would be an improvement over a simple random sample, but the
      gradients are continuous, not discrete, so stratification would have to
      impose a categorization over a continuous process. Hence, values from
      adjacent sites in adjacent strata would be more closely related than two
      measures that were far apart, but from within the same strata.

      Thanks for your help in my endeavours,

      Warren Schlechte

      Warren Schlechte
      Heart of the Hills Research Station