Re: AI-GEOSTATS: AI-GEOSTATS

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2000
      The number or density of nodes which you simulate
      depends solely on why you are doing the simulation and
      the resolution you need for your study.

      Also, of course, how much of your life you wish to
      spend waiting for th ecomputer to finish!

      Speed up your simulations in two possible ways:

      (1) simulate a sparse grid, add this to your samples,
      simulate a denser grid, add this to your samples,
      simulate a denser grid and so on. The advantage to
      this is that you can reduce your search radius at each
      iteration. Most of your time is spent searching for
      the "closest" samples;

      (2) simulate in sub-regions. Divide your study area
      into smaller regions and follow a similar process to
      (1)

      You can mix and match (1) and (2) and also randomise
      the points for better realisations.

      I don't use SIS but all of the above work nicely for
      sequential gaussian, which is essentially the same
      thing.

      Isobel Clark

      PS: look out for simulation methods in Volume 2 of
      Practical Geostatistics (2001)

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2000
        Hi,

        One of the primary objectives of stochastic simulation
        is to reproduce patterns of spatial variability and
        in sequential simulation it is ensured by using
        previously simulated values to derive probability
        distributions to be sampled randomly. As a consequence, you
        should make sure that the number of selected points
        (data and simulated values) and the size of the search window
        is large enough to allow one to incorporate information
        up to the range of spatial correlation.
        Of course, this may become impractical as the number of simulated
        values increases, hence the concept of multiple-grid simulation
        implemented in the new version of Gslib and that I strongly
        recommend to use.

        Here is the description that I give in my book, page 379.

        "The use of a search neighborhood limits reproduction of the input
        covariance model to the radius of that neighborhood. Another obstacle
        to reproduction of long-range structures is the screening of distant
        data by too many data closer to the location being simulated. The
        multiple-grid concept (G\'omez-Hern\'andez, 1991; Tran, 1994) allows
        one to reproduce long-range correlation structures without having to
        consider large search neighborhoods with too many conditioning data.
        For example, a two-step simulation of a square grid 500X500
        could proceed as follows:

        1. The attribute values are first simulated on a coarse grid (e.g.,
        25x25) using a large search neighborhood so as to reproduce
        long-range correlation structures. Because the grid is coarse, each
        neighborhood contains few data, which reduces the screening effect.

        2. Once the coarse grid has been completed, the simulation continues
        on the finer grid 500X500 using a smaller search neighborhood
        so as to reproduce short-range correlation structures. The
        previously simulated values on the coarse grid are
        used as data for the simulation on the fine grid.

        A random path is followed within each grid.

        The procedure can be generalized to any number of intermediate grids;
        this number depends on the number of structures with different ranges
        final grid spacing.

        Pierre

        ________ ________
        | \ / | Pierre Goovaerts
        |_ \ / _| Assistant professor
        | | The University of Michigan
        _| |_\ /_| |_
        | |\ /| | E-mail: goovaert@...
        |________| \/ |________| Phone: (734) 936-0141
        Fax: (734) 763-2275
        http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~goovaert/

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
          > Multiple simulations following the same path,
          > co-simulation and
          > indicator simulations are all implemented.
          Sounds really fast, which is an advantage but is't
          this outweighed by the fact that you have to follow
          the same path every time? I understood from the
          literature that one should vary the path every time
          for a valid siulation.

          Since we are all putting out adverts here, maybe I
          should mention that EcoSSe does sequential gaussian
          simulation and that we speed up the simulation by (a)
          dividing the whole region into subregions and
          randomising within the subregion and (b) writing out
          intermediate grid files for "re-input" for people who
          want to get progressively finer. It's not free, of
          course, ($US1,000) but it is constantly being updated
          to include features the users suggest.

          SGS is not in the demo, but you can check it out
          anyway at
          http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/Ecosse_download.html

          We'll be covering SGS etc in Volume 2, Practical
          Geostatistics 2001 but don't hold your breath as it is
          likely to be mid-year before we get it finished. In
          the meantime, look out for the 350 page "Practical
          eostatistocs 2000: Answers to the Exercises" due out
          this month. Much much more than just "Q1:
          42"..........

          Isobel Clark

        • Edzer J. Pebesma
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
            Pierre Goovaerts wrote:

            > The procedure can be generalized to any number of intermediate grids;
            > this number depends on the number of structures with different ranges
            > [and] final grid spacing.

            A far superior implementation of the concept of multiple grid simulation
            is found in gstat, found at http://www.geog.uu.nl/gstat/

            Suppose you want to simulate a field with 100 x 100 cells. Gstat then
            starts with the coarsest 2-power grid, which has a cell spacing of
            64 x 64; this grid is placed randomly in the field. After simulating
            these four (or one) cells, following a random path, the grid is refined
            to a grid with 32 cell spacing; after this grid is simulated a 16 cell
            spaced grid is followed, ... etc...; after the grid with a 2-cell
            spacing is followed, the remaining cells are simulated on the
            original field with 1-cell spacing.

            If this sounds confusing to you, see the figure on
            http://www.geog.uu.nl/gstat/manual/node9.html

            Now how can this be done efficiently without adjusting the neighbourhood
            size after each grid refinement? Gstat uses a very efficient
            neighbourhood search algorithm (based on quadtrees, see
            http://www.geog.uu.nl/gstat/manual/node8.html and for the algorithm
            http://www.cs.umd.edu/~brabec/quadtree/index.html : Bucket PR Quadtree)
            that does not call for a neighbourhood size in terms of spatial
            distance, but only in terms of number of nearest points.
            This algorithm selects the nearest n observations at the
            start of the simulations (when data are very sparse) approximately
            as fast as it does at the end, when simulated data are abundant and
            dense.

            The advantages of this algorithm are twofold:
            - no worries about the number of grids to simulate and their densities,
            as this is done recursively;
            - no worries about how to decrease the neighbourhood search radius and
            speed of neighbourhood selection, only define the maximum number of
            nearest points in the neighbourhood.

            Multiple simulations following the same path, co-simulation and
            indicator simulations are all implemented.

            Gstat is GPL'd, so anyone can copy this stuff, to GSLIB or whatever.
            --
            Edzer

          • Edzer J. Pebesma
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2000
              Isobel Clark wrote:

              > > Multiple simulations following the same path,

              > Sounds really fast, which is an advantage but is't
              > this outweighed by the fact that you have to follow
              > the same path every time? I understood from the
              > literature that one should vary the path every time
              > for a valid siulation.

              For maximum pure-ness: yes. (But then we should also use
              global neigbourhoods all the time :-)

              You can of course do this, if you've got the time and
              computing power.

              When you're doing a large Monte Carlo experiment using
              simulated random fields, and the simulation time of these fields
              is a crucial issue, the choice may be between using a
              small sample (of say 100) more `pure' fields versus a large
              sample (of say 1000) slightly correlated fields. In such a
              case, I would probably vote for the second option. [I did a
              little benchmark on 1000 simulations for 3000 cells; the gain
              in speed was about a factor 10 using a single random path.
              This factor will be more for larger fields.]

              Except for the theoretical correlation induced by following
              a single random path, has anyone ever done some computation on how
              large this correlation is in practice?
              --
              Edzer