Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Mining Dilution

  • Marcelo Godoy
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2001
      Dear Jul,

      Your block model must be adjusted for dilution of grade and losses
      of tonnage that occur when waste or portions of waste are not
      segregated from ore during mining. This may arise from a mismatch
      between ore body and mining geometry, blasting or misclassification
      due to poor grade control. The common practice is the use of global
      dilution factors, which may be quite dangerous. If the wire frame
      model of the mineralisation is accurate enough you should be able
      to map the blocks affected by contacts between ore and waste.

      Reblocking from large blocks to SMUs MUST take into account the
      volume-variance relationship! (see Applied Geostatistics by
      Isaaks & Srivastava).

      Be aware that the ratio between the predicted grade and the grade
      reported by the plant does not take into account losses due to
      misclassification of high grade ore. (see Schofield N, The Myth of
      Mine Reconciliation, In Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Estimation
      -The AusIMM Guide to Good Practice (Ed: A C Edwards), pp601-610).

      Best Regards,

      Marcelo