AI-GEOSTATS: Mining Dilution

  • Julhendra Solin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      Dear All,

      Anyone could help me to evaluate mining dilution in mine production
      reconciliation. The dilution was caused by change of support from larger
      exploration model block size to smaller SMU. I understand little bit
      theoretical that the dilution due too changing of variance, and I would like
      to implement it practical.
      Anyone could shows me guideline or any relevant literature.

      King Regards,
      Jul

    • Marcelo Godoy
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2001
        Dear Jul,

        Your block model must be adjusted for dilution of grade and losses
        of tonnage that occur when waste or portions of waste are not
        segregated from ore during mining. This may arise from a mismatch
        between ore body and mining geometry, blasting or misclassification
        due to poor grade control. The common practice is the use of global
        dilution factors, which may be quite dangerous. If the wire frame
        model of the mineralisation is accurate enough you should be able
        to map the blocks affected by contacts between ore and waste.

        Reblocking from large blocks to SMUs MUST take into account the
        volume-variance relationship! (see Applied Geostatistics by
        Isaaks & Srivastava).

        Be aware that the ratio between the predicted grade and the grade
        reported by the plant does not take into account losses due to
        misclassification of high grade ore. (see Schofield N, The Myth of
        Mine Reconciliation, In Mineral Resource and Ore Reserve Estimation
        -The AusIMM Guide to Good Practice (Ed: A C Edwards), pp601-610).

        Best Regards,

        Marcelo