AI-GEOSTATS: samples with not normal distribution

  • Montse Ferrer Julia
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      Hi everybody! I know I am going to make a quite silly questions for people
      who is used to work with krigging, but I am quite new, and after reading
      three different books and talk to 2 or three people I am in a mess: is it
      correct to interpolate data from a sample that doesn't follow a normal
      distribution? I have tried to get it transforming data with log, but the
      distribution of these new data is still not normal.

      Thanks to everybody

      Montse Ferrer
      University of Salamanca
      Dpt Geography
      Spain
      mferrer@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
        What does your data look like after you take
        logarithms? Is it still skewed? If you do a
        probability plot does it drop off at the lower end? Or
        at the top? or is it still curved? Or does it have a
        kink in it?

        Geostatistics is possible with any or all of the above
        but the remedy differs according to your answers.

        Isobel Clark