AI-GEOSTATS: Estimating the fixed Sill in the Elliptic Anisotropy

  • Yadollah Waghei
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
      Hi, AI-Geostats member
      In Elliptic Anisotropy we suppose that the Sill parameter of Variogram is fixed and the Range parametre is varying with direction, in an ellipce. But in practice, usually Sill is also depends to direction (more or less). My question is that:
      " How can we estimate Sill and Range in all directions by supposing that the sill is fixed? (With traditional methods in statistics: OLS, WLS,..).
      NOTE that in the traditional Variogram Model fitting, where we estimate the range and the sill in each direction ,seperately, we yield different sills in different directions, EVEN THE DATA SIMULATED FROM AN ISOTROPIC RANDOM FIELD!
      Yours Sincerely: Y. Waghei
      Dep.of Biostatistics
      Tarbiat Modarres Un.
      Tehran
      Tel:8011001-3872

      Visit http://www.visto.com
      Find out how companies are linking mobile users to the
      enterprise with Visto.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
        > " How can we estimate Sill and Range in all
        > directions by supposing that the sill is fixed?
        It is usual to fit the sill to an omni-directional
        semi-variogram graph, since that has most pairs on all
        points.

        The ranges can then be fitted individually.

        The alternate is to 'contour' the experimental
        semi-variograms in many directions and fit one
        ellipoidal surface to the 'map'.