AI-GEOSTATS: PhD-position

  • Gerard Heuvelink
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28, 2001
      Do you like (or know someone who likes):

      AMSTERDAM
      GEOSTATISTICS
      KALMAN FILTERING
      SOIL HYDROLOGY
      A POSITION AS A PHD-RESEARCHER

      then please read on.

      At the Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics, University of
      Amsterdam, we currently have a vacancy for a PhD-researcher on the project
      “Incorporating process-knowledge in spatio-temporal kriging of soil
      variables”. The aim of this project is to build and apply statistical models
      that can satisfactorily describe and predict the behaviour of soil variables
      over space and time. And that do so in a way that observations and physical
      process knowledge are both exploited. We believe that the direction to go
      forward is that of space-time Kalman filtering. Much more information on
      this project (such as the full project proposal) can be obtained from Gerard
      Heuvelink (g.b.m.heuvelink@..., telephone (+)31 20 5257448,
      http://www.frw.uva.nl/soil/Welcome.html).

      We are seeking candidates that have finished a Masters in the (natural)
      sciences, preferably in the Earth Sciences, (Applied) Mathematics,
      Statistics or Econometrics. The person we seek loves to work with equations
      and loves to put them into computer code, but must at the same time find
      much motivation and inspiration from applying mathematical models to real
      world problems. Of course the project should lead to a PhD-thesis.

      The project lasts for four years, and must commence before the end of this
      year. Part of the project is a three months working visit to partners in the
      USA and/or Australia in the second year of the project. The monthly salary
      starts at about € 1450 (currently 1 € equals about 0.91 US$) in the first
      year to about € 2050 in the fourth.

      Applications (letter and curriculum vitae) must arrive BEFORE 1 OCTOBER
      2001. Please send your application to:

      Dr. Gerard B.M. Heuvelink
      IBED-Physical Geography
      Universiteit van Amsterdam
      Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
      1018 WV Amsterdam
      THE NETHERLANDS

      Application through E-mail or FAX is also accepted:

      g.b.m.heuvelink@... / (+)31 20 5257431