AI-GEOSTATS: Marrons I Statistic (Again)

  • Yadollah Waghei
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
      Hello AI-Geostats members
      I set this mail to AI-GEOSTATS , But I did not recieve any response, therefore I send it again:
      I saw Marrons I Statistic in GS+ Software. It is an statistic computed in
      each lags as follow:

      N(h){sum(Zi*Zj)/sum(Zi^2)}

      This statistics and its plot arise for me two problem:
      - Is it the correlation function?
      - How can interpret this statistics or its plot?
      (Also I think that N(h) needs the power -1, i.e 1/N(h) is the correct not
      N(h)!).

      I have another question about GS+ method for semi-variogram model fitting:
      --- By which method GS+ estimates the parameters of semi-variogram? (By
      Least Square, Wieghted Least Square, Maximum Likelihood,...?)

      Yadollah Waghei
      Dep.of Biostatistics
      Tarbiat Modarres Univ.(Tehran)Po.Box: 14115-111
      Tel:8011001-3872 Fax:8007989

      Visit http://www.visto.com
      Find out how companies are linking mobile users to the
      enterprise with Visto.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2001
        According to Noel Cressie's book (Statistics for
        spatial dat, Wiley, p427)

        "Moran (1948) proposed a test of spatial dependence
        between sites...........

        The statistic I is known as Moran's contiguity ratio;
        it tests for random spatial scatter of, say, black
        sites in black/white images ......."

        So, yes, a first order correlation statistic.

        Personally, I don't think this is going to be
        meaningful unless your samples are on a regular grid
        and the distance between each Zi,Zj pair is constant.
        In that case it would be equivalent to a point on a
        correlogram.

        Cressie gives a couple of good references to fuller
        explanation.

        Isobel Clark
        http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark

        --- Yadollah Waghei <waghei@...> wrote: > Hello