AI-GEOSTATS: Dengue & population

  • Basil_LOH@ENV.gov.sg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2001
      Hi list members,

      I am new to geo/spatial statistics and I don't have any expert spatial
      epidemiologist in my country. So I thought I'd run through what I have done
      with you all, and check whether I am on the right track. If anyone has any
      better ideas, please feel free to let me know too!

      I am working on the following questions:
      How can I test the hypothesis that most of the dengue cases are located
      where most of the population are?
      How can I test the hypothesis that significantly more dengue cases are
      located in the east than in the west of my country?
      How can I detect if there are any clustering or any other spatial trends of
      dengue in relation to population?

      In my Arcview GIS 3.2, I have a polygon layer of population according to
      postal sectors (83 polygons with sizes ranging from 0.3 km(superscript: 2)
      to 33 km(superscript: 2)). I also have a point layer of dengue cases.

      What I've done so far:
      Correlated number of dengue cases with population in each postal sector
      polygon.
      Correlated number of dengue cases with population density (i.e.
      population/ area) in each postal sector.
      Correlated dengue morbidity rate (i.e. no. of cases/ population) with
      population in each postal sector.
      Correlated dengue morbidity rate with population density in each postal
      sector.

      What more can I do?

      Thanks very much in advance. Best wishes.

      Basil
      Vector Control & Research Dept
      Singapore

    • Duane F. Marble
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2001
        I have recently compiled an 800 entry bibliography on the application
        of Geographic Information Science & Technology (GI S&T) to problems in
        public health and disease. This is not complete but I could make a copy
        available to you in digital form.

        --
        Professor Emeritus Duane F. Marble
        Center for Mapping Email: marble.1@...

        "From now on, space by itself and time by itself
        are doomed to fade away into mere shadows, and
        only a kind of union of the two will preserve
        an independent reality."
        - Minkowski, 1908