RE: AI-GEOSTATS: spatial correlation of forest roads

  • Munroe, Darla
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2001
      Are you comparing an actual vs. predicted road, is that what I understand?
      If so, I don't think spatial autocorrelation measures are appropriate.

      What is your question? Is the GIS model generating a road from any sort of
      stochastic process? If it's COSTPATH, I'm assuming you're placing the
      simulated road in the most "efficient" location? (e.g., least cost?)?

      I would suggest creating some sort of map with predicted and acutal location
      - if the COSTPATH road represents an idealized road, I would assign that
      road a value of 0, then create another grid with increasing values for
      terrain that is less suitable for a road. For example, if you're just
      looking at topography, reclassify the grid according to some measure of
      ruggedness (in however many categories you think apply), and then create a
      grid of the acutal road (with some value that you know will stand out), and
      then subtract the topography grid, then overlay the simulated road grid - so
      that it has a value of 0 wherever you have a correct prediction, and
      increasing negative values the less suitable the terrain.

      Does that make sense? Plotting model results is something I and some
      colleagues have been discussing for a while - summarizing model results
      spatially to show accuracy.

      Hope that was helpful - just a suggestion.
      Darla

      Darla Munroe
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Indiana University