AI-GEOSTATS: spatial correlation of forest roads

  • Ionut Aron
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2001
      Hello everybody,

      I am modelling forest roads in GIS and I' d like to find for a specific road
      how similar is this road with the one generated with the GIS model. I am
      working with ArcINFO and the datasets are in raster format (generated with
      PATHDIST and COSTPATH functions). ArcINFO has a number of spatial
      autocorrelation functions (Moran, Geary, Correlation). Are these functions
      appropriate for my purpose? Any other ideas?

      Thank you very much.

      Ionut

    • Munroe, Darla
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2001
        Are you comparing an actual vs. predicted road, is that what I understand?
        If so, I don't think spatial autocorrelation measures are appropriate.

        What is your question? Is the GIS model generating a road from any sort of
        stochastic process? If it's COSTPATH, I'm assuming you're placing the
        simulated road in the most "efficient" location? (e.g., least cost?)?

        I would suggest creating some sort of map with predicted and acutal location
        - if the COSTPATH road represents an idealized road, I would assign that
        road a value of 0, then create another grid with increasing values for
        terrain that is less suitable for a road. For example, if you're just
        looking at topography, reclassify the grid according to some measure of
        ruggedness (in however many categories you think apply), and then create a
        grid of the acutal road (with some value that you know will stand out), and
        then subtract the topography grid, then overlay the simulated road grid - so
        that it has a value of 0 wherever you have a correct prediction, and
        increasing negative values the less suitable the terrain.

        Does that make sense? Plotting model results is something I and some
        colleagues have been discussing for a while - summarizing model results
        spatially to show accuracy.

        Hope that was helpful - just a suggestion.
        Darla

        *******************************
        Darla Munroe
        Postdoctoral Fellow
        Indiana University
        Center for the Study of Institutions,
        Population, and Environmental Change
        dmunroe@...

        I am modelling forest roads in GIS and I' d like to find for a specific
        road
        how similar is this road with the one generated with the GIS model. I am
        working with ArcINFO and the datasets are in raster format (generated
        with
        PATHDIST and COSTPATH functions). ArcINFO has a number of spatial
        autocorrelation functions (Moran, Geary, Correlation). Are these
        functions
        appropriate for my purpose? Any other ideas?

        Thank you very much.

        Ionut

        * As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary