AI-GEOSTATS: Sampling design for airphoto selection

  • Parfitt, Ian ELP:EX
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2001
      Hello Ai-geostats list

      I am developing a sampling plan for a retrospective analysis of deciduous
      forests. We intend to use airphotos from the 1930s to develop an inventory
      to compare with the current inventory. The area within our study area that
      is covered by airphotos is approximately 350,000 ha and we can't afford to
      map it all, so we are looking a ways of capturing the variation in deciduous
      distribution and composition using a sample or subset of the photos. One
      approach we are considering is based on the National Forest Inventory of
      Canada, which recommends sampling about 1% of the study area using a 20km x
      20km grid and 2km x 2km typed areas at the the grid intersections. Other
      ideas include transects, simple random, or stratified random designs. Any
      other suggestions or references would be appreciated.

      Ian Parfitt
      Nelson, BC