AI-GEOSTATS: Aditivity SPT data

  • daiane
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2001
      Hello
      I have a database which consists in samples of SPT (Standard
      Penetration Test) surveys. This kind of survey is frequently used in
      the civil engineering to determine parameters of soil resistance. The
      samples and consistency values are collected each meter, being just
      integral values representing the number of golps needed to penetrate
      downwards 1 m thickness of soil. The residual soil of the area is
      originated from decomposed basalt.
      My doubt would be on the aditivity of the data for application in
      ordinary kriging and simulation geostatistics.
      I would like to know if is there some impediment for the geostatistical
      treatment for this type of information; would also appreciate
      bibliographical recommendations regarding the subject.
      Greetings
      Daiane

    • WARR Benjamin
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2001
        Hi Daiane,

        I bet you get periodic variograms ! I did a similar study with a US army
        type push penetrometer along transects, and have seen some off shore and
        barrage penetrometer variograms, they are all periodic (even though the
        measurements can hardly be considered to be the same scale).

        Additivity isn't an issue really, as it is difficult really to distinguish
        between one golp + half a golp done sequentially and one large golp
        equivalent to 1.5 normal golps done in one hit. I hope I understand
        correctly your means of measurement ? If I remember rightly though as the
        depth increases the effect friction increases as the length of penetrometer
        touching the soil is greater ? You should perhaps correct for this effect
        prior to analysis, it may present itself as a trend which you could filter
        out, or you could use more physically based methods.

        I shall hunt around for some references and send you a copy of the work I
        did for my degree. I don't think it was published widely but was presented
        at the "Journees de Geostatistique" , Fontainebleau, 1999 and some record
        may exist on their website.

        cheers

        Benjamin Warr
        Research Associate
        Centre for the Management of Environmental Resources (CMER)
        INSEAD
        Boulevard de Constance,
        77305 Fontainebleau Cedex,
        France