AI-GEOSTATS: Position Announcement

  • McKenna, Sean A
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2000
      Our department at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque, New Mexico,
      USA is looking for a permanent hire in the general area of spatial
      statistics. The official announcement is provided below.

      If you know of someone who may be interested in such a position, please make
      them aware of this announcement. Questions and requests for more
      information should be directed to Dr. Erik Webb (Department Manager) at the
      address given at the bottom of the announcement.

      More information regarding Sandia National Laboratories can be obtained from
      http://www.sandia.gov Our Department web site is at:
      http://www.sandia.gov/eesector/gs/gh/geohydrology.html although it has not
      been updated in quite some time.

      thank you

      Sean A. McKenna Ph.D.
      Geohydrology Department
      Sandia National Laboratories
      PO Box 5800 MS 0735
      Albuquerque, NM 87185-0735
      ph: 505 844-2450
      fx: 505 844-4426

      ANNOUNCEMENT:

      Spatial Statistics
      Geohydrology Department
      Sandia National Laboratories

      The Geohydrology Department at Sandia National Laboratories is seeking to
      hire a permanent full-time staff member in the area of spatial statistics
      (geostatistics).

      The Geohydrology Department at Sandia National Laboratories consists of
      approximately 30 technical staff and students, visiting researchers, foreign
      visitors and administrative support. Our work focuses on the application of
      hydrologic testing in both the field and laboratory coupled with theoretical
      development, numerical analysis and monitoring system development. We
      cooperate with three other geoscience departments in the Geoscience and
      Environment Center namely Geochemistry, Geophysics and Geomechanics. The
      Geohydrology department plays a key role in the hydrologic assessments for
      the Yucca Mountain Project, Waste Isolation Pilot Plant's international
      collaboration activities, and several other US DOE programs including
      Environmental Management, Fossil Energy, and Waste Management. We have
      extensive international collaboration. While most of our work is focused on
      applying advanced science to solve unique project needs, about 1/3 of the
      departments activities involve basic research with funding from US DOE's
      Basic Energy Sciences, US DOE's Environmental Management Science Program,
      and internally directed funds.

      Over the last several years, Sandia has progressively included more spatial
      data analysis within the context of various decision analysis activities.
      In particular, the coupling of spatial statistics with probabilistic
      simulation has proven fruitful and is now being applied to problems in
      nuclear waste management, domestic and international programs, terrorist
      threat reduction, epidemiology and site characterization. The Geohydrology
      group, in concert with the other geoscience departments at SNL, is
      interested in expanding and strengthening this promising area of research
      and development.

      We are seeking an individual who will enter the program with some
      combination of skills in spatial statistics (Geostatistics, Neural Nets),
      data analysis, other forms of numerical analysis or operations research
      (Multi-Attribute Utility Analysis), computational abilities (Fortran, C,
      C++, Java, etc.), spatial data management (GIS, databases), satellite image
      analysis, earth science (Geosciences, Hydrology, Petroleum Engineering),
      probabilistic decision analysis and a willingness to expand their skills
      where appropriate.

      This position will remain open until filled. U.S. Citizenship normally
      required. Equal Employment Opportunity M/F/D/V. Applicants should submit
      curriculum vitae, examples of publications and a reference list to:

      Erik K. Webb
      Manager, Geohydrology Department
      Sandia National Laboratories
      PO Box 5800, MS 0735