SUMMARY: AI-GEOSTATS: 3D-kriging with soil data

  • Markus Boehm
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2001
      Dear List,

      sorry that you had to wait for this summary.

      I post the answers that I received in this Mail with the corresponding
      names and email addresses. The answers were help for us to decide to do
      kriging in 2-dimensional layers. However, so far do not have final results
      but it seems to work fine this way.
      Thanks to

      Rudi Dutter <R.Dutter@...>:
      (...
      I was involved in a geochemical analysis project at the peninsula Kola
      where we
      had less data than you have, and also a much smaller amount of values in
      the
      z-direction. Nevertheless the results are documented in
      C. Reiman et al. (1998): Environmental Geochemical Atlas of the Central
      Barents
      Region. Norges geologiske undersokelse (NGU), Geological Survey of Norway.

      We experienced with kriging in 2-dimensional layers, and the results are
      published. Only afterwards we started investigating the relations between
      the
      empirical structures between the layers. This seems to be very
      interesting,
      however, no result is published.

      I believe that 3d-kriging does not bring much, however, the comparisons
      between
      the structures of the layers are very challencing.
      ...)

      Denis Marcotte <Denis.Marcotte@...>:
      (...
      It is probably better to treat this kind of data as 2D, soil type by soil
      type. You can krige the thickness of each soil type and also the measured
      variables; this will allow you to reconstruct vertical sections
      everywhere. The data probably shows a complicated trend along the vertical
      profile which complicates seriously the 3D study.
      ...)

      Med Bennett <mbennett@...>:
      (...
      I would compute a vertical or "downhole" variogram to see if there if any
      significant spatial correlation in that direction. If so, you should
      attempt to use a 3D kriging method, as it would be wasteful not to use
      that
      information. You will have to use a very high value for anisotropy in the
      Z direction (on the order of 1000 probably) or else leave the depth units
      as cm and the horizontal units in m.
      ...)

      "Nel, Fanie" <fnel@...>:
      (...
      I would suggest that you only krig within a horizon , not across horizons.
      This assumes that the variables behave diffrently in each horizon. You
      will
      also have to estimate the width of each horizon.

      If a variable shows a different variograms vertically and horizontally you
      should do 3D kriging.
      ...)

      I hope there all who wrote to me listed above (there is some chaos in my
      Mailbox these days).

      Markus Böhm
      Groner Landstr. 45
      D-37081 Goettingen