AI-GEOSTATS: Geostatistics in time and space

  • S . Brewer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2001
      Hello

      I have a data-set which consists of a series of sediment cores irregularly
      distributed in space. Each core as been sampled along its length, and has
      an age scale from radiocarbon dates. The samples taken from along the cores
      are irregularly distributed in time, as sedimentation varies from one core
      to the next. I would like to use this data to make a series of predictions
      at non-sampled locations, on a regular time series.

      My question is: can kriging be used to do this? I am aware that kriging in
      three dimensions is possible, but I am worried that the difference in
      scales between locational coordinates and temporal coordinates may be a
      problem. Has anybody some experience with this type of approach?

      I would be grateful for suggestions, references, www links, etc. I would
      also be grateful if anyone could point me to some source code, if
      necessary.

      Thanks in advance
      Simon
      Simon Brewer
      European Pollen Database
      Place de la Republique tel: 00 33 (0)4 90 96 18 18
      13200 Arles fax: 00 33 (0)4 90 93 98 03
      France email: simon.brewer@...