[ai-geostats] Re: Software for Automatic Semivariogram Estimation

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
      Behrang

      What weighting do you use in the weighted least squares?

      Isobel
      http://www.kriging.com

      Behrang Kushavand <Kushavand@...> wrote:
      hi,
      I have a software for Variogram AUTO Modeling (winvam) that works with gslib
      (GAMV.exe).

      First you must calculate experimental variogram (omni or directional) with
      gamv.exe and then by using winvam, you can fit the best model by least
      square and weights least square criteria for given model(s),

      You can find it at:

      http://www.ai-geostats.org/software/Geostats_software/WinVAM.htm

      King regards.

      Behrang.

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
        Ed

        I use the Cressie statistic to four significant figures as a guide in the interactive fitting, but generally end up using a visual judgement. It tracks as you drag the model around, so you can watch it change.

        I think the 'real' visual objective function is probably the perpendicular (to tangent) distance to the model line, which is effectively the combination of both gamma and h. One should then be able to alter the relative weighting between distance and height. Haven't tried this yet.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
          Hi Susan,

          I would recommend the Stanford Geostatistical Modeling Software (S-GeMS)
          that is public domain and that I use in all my short courses (some of your
          colleagues have actually be trained by me). The software can be downloaded from
          http://pangea.stanford.edu/~nremy/GEMS/

          Cheers,

          Pierre

          Pierre Goovaerts
          Chief Scientist at BioMedware
          516 North State Street
          Ann Arbor, MI 48104
          Voice: (734) 913-1098 (ext. 8)
          Fax: (734) 913-2201
          http://home.comcast.net/~goovaerts/

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006

            Dear Prof. Clark

            Here is the paper:

            http://www.ansinet.org/fulltext/jas/jas581405-1407.pdf

            Formula (4) is the weight factor.

            King regards.

            Behrang.

            > >I'm hunting for a software (freeware/openSource if
            > >possible), that would help estimating the best
            > >possible semivariogram curve in a non-interactive way.
            > >As an example, ArcGis Geostatistical Analyst does a
            > >pretty good job at this when we accept the defaults.
            > >It does some automatic calculations for the parameters
            > >of the selected model. I've tried Gstat "Fit" method
            > >(in the command-line version), but the results aren't
            > >what I expected. What I need is a command line
            > >software or one that can be controlled by programming.
            > >
            > >Any ideas?
            > >

            > Some. I did have a look at your data, and at the
            > ArcGIS fit window you sent me. Clearly, we do not
            > fully agree on what is to be considered a "good" job.
            > ArcGIS calculates semivariances up to the largest
            > distances present in your data set; afaik the general
            > recommendation is not to look further than half the
            > longest distance (compare acf computation in time
            > series); the gstat default is one third the diagonal
            > of the area spanned. Have you tried modifying any
            > of these defaults? Interval widths?
            >
            > When looking at the fit, it seems that ArcGIS shows
            > a couple (4?) directional variograms in a single
            > plot, but apart from that, the sample variogram suggests
            > a linear model. It is obvious that fitting three parameters
            > (exponential model with nugget) to something that
            > tends to be linear will lead to problems -- an infinite
            > set of solutions, for instance. When you insist on
            > having an exponential model, you could for
            > instance force the range to a certain (large) value.
            > I suspect ArcGIS stops adjusting the range of the
            > exponential model when it exceeds the data extent
            > (Constantin, are you with us?), but should that be
            > considered good practice?
            >
            > My experience with automatic, general-purpose
            > automatic variogram fitting are not very positive;
            > if it were, gstat would probably have such a function.
            >
            > Are there other ai-geostats readers who have positive or
            > negative experiences with, or who routinely trust,
            > automatically fitted variograms? Which software?
            >
            > Looking forward to a heated debate,
            > --
            > Edzer
            >
            > >machnife

            > >http://mail.yahoo.com

            the body (plain text format) of an email message to sympa@...

            > >Signoff ai-geostats

            > Signoff ai-geostats

            Signoff ai-geostats
          • Gregoire Dubois
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
              Message
              Sorry.. I was meaning GeMS, not GMES.

              Gregoire

              Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)

              European Commission (EC)
              Joint Research Centre (JRC)
              WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org

              "The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission."

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                Hi all,

                for S or R users, GeoR is worth a look for auto-fitting procedures. This
                R package allows fitting of variograms (with the option of trend
                removal) via least squares (equal weights, n_pairs weights, or 'Cressie'
                weights), or computationally using maximum liklihood or REML. If you go
                for the latter you can produce profile liklihood plots for parameters
                etc. The package also will do most of the conventional flavors of
                kriging, but the main focus of the package is model based geostatistics,
                and is well demonstrated in:

                DIGGLE, P.J., RIBEIRO Jr, P.J. & CHRISTENSEN, O.F. (2003) An
                introduction to model based geostatistics. /In/ Möller, J. (ed) *Spatial
                statistics and computational methods*. Lecture notes in statistics, vol.
                173, p. 43-86, Springer.

                The package website is here:

                http://www.est.ufpr.br/geoR/

                and it can also be obtained from here:

                http://cran.r-project.org/

                Hope that helps

                Luke
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Thanks Behrang, I see you are using Cressie weights.
                  Isobel
                  http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark

                  Signoff ai-geostats

                  Signoff ai-geostats

                • Mach Nife
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                    It would be very nice if there would be a tutorial on
                    how to use the variogram modeler.

                    machnife

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
                      Hi,

                      They are currently writing a book that would be similar to Gslib user manual
                      but tailored to S-GeMS features. In the meantime, you can find some
                      help in the user manual available at
                      http://sgems.sourceforge.net/doc/sgems_manual.pdf

                      http://mail.yahoo.com