Re: [ai-geostats] Re: Software for Automatic Semivariogram Estimation

  • Chaosheng Zhang
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
      Dear all,

      I have the same concerns with ArcGIS Geostatistical Analyst Extension (v.9.1). I would use a traditional geostatistics software package to fit the variogram models in a very traditional way, and input the parameters to ArcGIS for kriging. It seems that ArcGIS has its own reasons to show variograms in a non-traditional way, but I find it almost impossible to fit the variograms mannually. You can change the parameters, but it is very hard to see how well they fit. By the way, you can change the lag distance or interval in ArcGIS (it is called "lag size" there).

      Cheers,

      Chaosheng
      ------------------
      Dr. Chaosheng Zhang
      Lecturer in GIS
      Department of Geography
      National University of Ireland, Galway
      IRELAND
      Tel: +353-91-492375
      Fax: +353-91-495505
      E-mail: Chaosheng.Zhang@...
      Web1: www.nuigalway.ie/geography/zhang.html
      Web2: www.nuigalway.ie/geography/gis

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
        Behrang

        What weighting do you use in the weighted least squares?

        Isobel
        http://www.kriging.com

        Behrang Kushavand <Kushavand@...> wrote:
        hi,
        I have a software for Variogram AUTO Modeling (winvam) that works with gslib
        (GAMV.exe).

        First you must calculate experimental variogram (omni or directional) with
        gamv.exe and then by using winvam, you can fit the best model by least
        square and weights least square criteria for given model(s),

        You can find it at:

        http://www.ai-geostats.org/software/Geostats_software/WinVAM.htm

        King regards.

        Behrang.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006

          Yikes!

          I was working through the tutorial for the Geostatistical Analyst Extension when this email discussion popped up.  Any recommendations for a “traditional geostatistics software package”?

          Thanks,

          Susan

          Susan Hohner, Senior Geographer

          Everglades Division, Mail Stop 4440

          South Florida Water Management District

          3301 Gun Club Road, West Palm Beach , FL 33406

          (561) 682-6801 phone

          (561) 682-0100 fax

          shohner@...

          http://www.sfwmd.gov

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
            Isobel Clark wrote:

            > Behrang
            >
            > What weighting do you use in the weighted least squares?
            >
            > Isobel

            I have found choosing suitable weights always a frustrating
            event. Cressie's weights, let's say N_h/[(gamma(h))^2], has
            attractive properties, both intuitively and statistically. Here,
            gamma(h) is the model value, not the sample variogram
            value (because that might be zero; think of binary data). N_h
            is the number of point pairs used to estimate semivariance
            at lag (interval) h.

            It's downside is that while fitting the variogram, gamma(h)
            changes, and so the weights change. This has consequences:
            while fitting, the criterion you try to minimize may actually
            increase while the fit gets better. This is hard to deal with.
            If you calculate e.g. a weighted R^2, and look at the trace,
            it will go up, down, and then up, down, etc. The context changes.

            If you fix gamma(h), say to it's starting values, then the final
            fit may very much depend on which starting values you used.

            Isobel, how do you deal with this?

            As an alternative, (and the default value in gstat under R or
            S-Plus), I now tend to use N_h/h^2 [*], which is equivalent to
            Cressie's weights for a linear variogram with no nugget. It
            works often, but will give rediculusly large weight to a
            semivariance value with h very close to zero (think duplicate
            measurements). Besides these two, gstat has the options
            of weights N_h, and of no (=constant) weights.
            --
            Edzer

            [*] If I'm correct, this was first suggested in a paper by
            Zhang and ... in Computers & Geosciences, early nineties.
            I strongly disliked it then, but consider it acquired taste.
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
              Ed

              I use the Cressie statistic to four significant figures as a guide in the interactive fitting, but generally end up using a visual judgement. It tracks as you drag the model around, so you can watch it change.

              I think the 'real' visual objective function is probably the perpendicular (to tangent) distance to the model line, which is effectively the combination of both gamma and h. One should then be able to alter the relative weighting between distance and height. Haven't tried this yet.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006
                Hi Susan,

                I would recommend the Stanford Geostatistical Modeling Software (S-GeMS)
                that is public domain and that I use in all my short courses (some of your
                colleagues have actually be trained by me). The software can be downloaded from
                http://pangea.stanford.edu/~nremy/GEMS/

                Cheers,

                Pierre

                Pierre Goovaerts
                Chief Scientist at BioMedware
                516 North State Street
                Ann Arbor, MI 48104
                Voice: (734) 913-1098 (ext. 8)
                Fax: (734) 913-2201
                http://home.comcast.net/~goovaerts/

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 28, 2006

                  Dear Prof. Clark

                  Here is the paper:

                  http://www.ansinet.org/fulltext/jas/jas581405-1407.pdf

                  Formula (4) is the weight factor.

                  King regards.

                  Behrang.

                  > >I'm hunting for a software (freeware/openSource if
                  > >possible), that would help estimating the best
                  > >possible semivariogram curve in a non-interactive way.
                  > >As an example, ArcGis Geostatistical Analyst does a
                  > >pretty good job at this when we accept the defaults.
                  > >It does some automatic calculations for the parameters
                  > >of the selected model. I've tried Gstat "Fit" method
                  > >(in the command-line version), but the results aren't
                  > >what I expected. What I need is a command line
                  > >software or one that can be controlled by programming.
                  > >
                  > >Any ideas?
                  > >

                  > Some. I did have a look at your data, and at the
                  > ArcGIS fit window you sent me. Clearly, we do not
                  > fully agree on what is to be considered a "good" job.
                  > ArcGIS calculates semivariances up to the largest
                  > distances present in your data set; afaik the general
                  > recommendation is not to look further than half the
                  > longest distance (compare acf computation in time
                  > series); the gstat default is one third the diagonal
                  > of the area spanned. Have you tried modifying any
                  > of these defaults? Interval widths?
                  >
                  > When looking at the fit, it seems that ArcGIS shows
                  > a couple (4?) directional variograms in a single
                  > plot, but apart from that, the sample variogram suggests
                  > a linear model. It is obvious that fitting three parameters
                  > (exponential model with nugget) to something that
                  > tends to be linear will lead to problems -- an infinite
                  > set of solutions, for instance. When you insist on
                  > having an exponential model, you could for
                  > instance force the range to a certain (large) value.
                  > I suspect ArcGIS stops adjusting the range of the
                  > exponential model when it exceeds the data extent
                  > (Constantin, are you with us?), but should that be
                  > considered good practice?
                  >
                  > My experience with automatic, general-purpose
                  > automatic variogram fitting are not very positive;
                  > if it were, gstat would probably have such a function.
                  >
                  > Are there other ai-geostats readers who have positive or
                  > negative experiences with, or who routinely trust,
                  > automatically fitted variograms? Which software?
                  >
                  > Looking forward to a heated debate,
                  > --
                  > Edzer
                  >
                  > >machnife

                  > >http://mail.yahoo.com

                  the body (plain text format) of an email message to sympa@...

                  > >Signoff ai-geostats

                  > Signoff ai-geostats

                  Signoff ai-geostats
                • Gregoire Dubois
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                    Message
                    GSLIB, Gstat and GMES  (the last is not yet broadly used but time will come) are free tools that can be considered nowadays as "reference material".

                    Main reason for this is that source codes are available and can be properly checked, this is not the case for commercial packages.

                    ... see the software section of ai-geostats (a bit old but I will work on it soon)

                    Best regards,

                    Gregoire

                    Gregoire Dubois (Ph.D.)

                    European Commission (EC)
                    Joint Research Centre (JRC)
                    WWW: http://www.ai-geostats.org

                    "The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission."

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                        Hi all,

                        for S or R users, GeoR is worth a look for auto-fitting procedures. This
                        R package allows fitting of variograms (with the option of trend
                        removal) via least squares (equal weights, n_pairs weights, or 'Cressie'
                        weights), or computationally using maximum liklihood or REML. If you go
                        for the latter you can produce profile liklihood plots for parameters
                        etc. The package also will do most of the conventional flavors of
                        kriging, but the main focus of the package is model based geostatistics,
                        and is well demonstrated in:

                        DIGGLE, P.J., RIBEIRO Jr, P.J. & CHRISTENSEN, O.F. (2003) An
                        introduction to model based geostatistics. /In/ Möller, J. (ed) *Spatial
                        statistics and computational methods*. Lecture notes in statistics, vol.
                        173, p. 43-86, Springer.

                        The package website is here:

                        http://www.est.ufpr.br/geoR/

                        and it can also be obtained from here:

                        http://cran.r-project.org/

                        Hope that helps

                        Luke
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                          Thanks Behrang, I see you are using Cressie weights.
                          Isobel
                          http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark

                          Signoff ai-geostats

                          Signoff ai-geostats

                        • Mach Nife
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 1, 2006
                            It would be very nice if there would be a tutorial on
                            how to use the variogram modeler.

                            machnife

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
                              Hi,

                              They are currently writing a book that would be similar to Gslib user manual
                              but tailored to S-GeMS features. In the meantime, you can find some
                              help in the user manual available at
                              http://sgems.sourceforge.net/doc/sgems_manual.pdf

                              http://mail.yahoo.com