[ai-geostats] Where's the variance?

  • JW
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
      Hello List,

      All I really want to know is what happened to the variance of a single distance-weighted average when the latter metamorphosed into an honorific kriged estimate and the kriging variance of a SET of kriged estimates became a cornerstone of geostatistics. Readers should try to figure out what  would happen to geostatistics if each and every kriged estimate does indeed have its own variance? I submit that geostatistics would simply mutate into mathematical statistics! Could a first generation geostatistician please explain why the variance of a single distance-weighted average-cum-kriged estimate was dismissed, ignored or otherwise lost?

      Kind regards,
      Jan W Merks